B.C. climber killed jumping to avoid falling rock
A Squamish, B.C., woman has died after falling 25 to 30 metres off a cliff while rock climbing in Washington State.
Amy Stein, 37, was climbing with a group of four others Tuesday at the Snow Creek Wall about 240 kilometres east of Seattle, when she tried to jump out of the way of a falling rock, according to John Wisemore, the undersheriff for the Chelan County Sherriff's office.
"They were on the descent for the climb for the day, and a rock had come loose up above the victim … she tried to jump out of the way of this loose rock — I don't know how big this rock was — but when she jumped out of the way she apparently fell over a 70- to 100-foot cliff," said Wisemore.
Stein was alive when her climbing partners reached her, but died a short time later. Her body was recovered yesterday.
Last weekend a father and his 10-year-old daughter were crushed by a boulder while camping near the top of Blackcomb Mountain, near Whistler, B.C.
- Jean Chrétien says Canada is all in on Iraq mission
- Turkey says 49 hostages seized by ISIS have been freed
- Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic
- First Nation girl refuses chemotherapy, may be forced back into treatment
- Jean Chrétien gave U.K. government advice ahead of Scotland referendum
- Hurricane Odile: WestJet offers final evacuation flight to Calgary
- Why chimps kill other chimps — U.S. study uncovers main reason
- After the Scotland referendum: What happens next
- Don Frigo shooting death: Canada-wide warrant issued for Boris Panovski
- Ukrainian peace talks lead to buffer zone deal
Dozens of Turkish hostages seized by Islamic State (IS) in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul in June have been released and arrived back in Turkey.
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 1:41, Views 19
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.66Views: 75393
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 3Views: 39350
Date 14-09-18 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.21Views: 8507
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 1Views: 790