Female teacher acquitted of sex charges, now on trial for perjury
A former elementary school teacher in Vernon, B.C., accused of having a sexual relationship with a Grade 7 student, is facing perjury charges for allegedly lying during her 2011 trial.
Deborah Ashton, 48, was acquitted of all charges in March 2012 in the second of two trials. Ashton's first trial on the same charges ended with a hung jury in 2011.
Now, the Crown has decided to pursue charges relating to Ashton's testimony in the 2011 trial.
She is accused of lying about a bracelet she is alleged to have purchased for the 12-year-old student and allegedly lying about whether it was she or her husband who picked up their son at a Vernon daycare.
"Ashton knowingly made false statements to mislead the court," Crown lawyer Don Mann said on Tuesday.
Ashton said the ordeal has been a five year nightmare that has cost her a career, driven her into poverty and devastated her children.
- Malaysia Airlines flight direction unclear to Malaysian authorities
- Olivia Chow to resign as MP, launch Toronto mayoral bid
- Avalanche in B.C.'s Kootenay region kills male snowmobiler
- RCMP costs soared after Greenpeace Parliament protest
- Pauline Marois says independent Quebec would have no borders or tolls
- Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan: a video timeline
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- UFO sightings soar to new heights in Canada
- Climate likely fuelled Genghis Khan's conquests
- Alberta legislature too disrespectful for school visits
Oilers erase 3-goal deficit to beat Wild in shootout.
Date 44 mins ago, Duration 1:09, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 12 hrs ago 3:11
Tooltip Information:Barack Obama spars with Zach Galifianakis over health careVideo by:Description: U.S. president gets the 'Between Two Ferns' treatmentRating: 3.3Views: 997483
Date 14-03-11 1:02
Tooltip Information:NBA: Toronto 97 at Brooklyn 101Video by:Description: Deron Williams and Shaun Livingston each scored 18 points and an ailing Pierce hit a key late 3-pointer to lead the Brooklyn Nets to a 101-97 victory over the Atlantic Division-leading Toronto Raptors.Rating: 2.5Views: 909202
Date 9 hrs ago 2:39
Tooltip Information:Hearing Voices workshop gives insight into schizophreniaVideo by:Description: Demand is growing in Winnipeg for a workshop that helps people understand what it's like to live with a mental illness like schizophrenia.Rating: 4Views: 472