Mould removed from B.C. school lunch room
Black mould growing in an elementary school lunch room in Nelson, B.C., has finally been removed, officials say.
Some parents had complained their kids were having asthma attacks because of the mould growing beneath the school’s lunch room floor.
The lunch room at Hume Elementary is still fenced off and remains off limits to staff and students, but school board superintendent Jeff Jones said contractors got the last of the mould out over the Christmas break.
“There are still parents who are concerned, understandably. Before Christmas two kids had asthma,” Jones said.
Jones says they've done continuous air quality testing and found elevated levels of spores around a kindergarten class last week and moved the students as a precaution.
“I am convinced it is safe school. If we had been advised at any point it was unsafe we would have closed the school,” said Jones.
The lunch room mould was traced to a leaky water tank.
Jones said officials hope to have the lunch room rebuilt by the end of the school year.
With files from the CBC's Bob Keating
- Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic
- Jean Chrétien gave U.K. government advice ahead of Scotland referendum
- Why chimps kill other chimps — U.S. study uncovers main reason
- Hurricane Odile: WestJet offers final evacuation flight to Calgary
- After the Scotland referendum: What happens next
- Don Frigo shooting death: Canada-wide warrant issued for Boris Panovski
- Ukrainian peace talks lead to buffer zone deal
- White House evacuated after man jumps fence, rushes executive mansion
- B.C. teachers' strike: No extension to school year to make up for lost time
- Netflix tells CRTC consumers should vote with their dollars
Toronto beats BC 40-23.
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 0:52, Views 3
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.66Views: 74845
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 1Views: 554
Date 14-09-18 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.21Views: 8241
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 3Views: 39109