Vancouver police seek witnesses in shoving death of 80-year-old
Vancouver police say they believe there were witnesses to Friday's confrontation in East Vancouver that left an 80-year-old man dead.
Yee Wong was allegedly pushed to the ground by a stranger just after 7 a.m. PT near New Brighton Park on McGill Street near Windermere Street.
Wong was conscious and suffering from a head injury when paramedics arrived on the scene, but his condition quickly deteriorated and he was pronounced dead in hospital.
Police arrested a 45-year-old man, who remains in custody. The two men didn't know each other, and investigators are now trying to clarify what led to the dispute.
Police say one of the witnesses was possibly an off-duty firefighter.
”It is important that detectives speak to these witnesses to get an accurate account of what happened to the victim," said VPD spokesman, Sgt. Randy Fincham.
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- Back-to-school sleep tips for kids
- B.C. tour bus crashes on Coquihalla Highway, 43 injured, 5 critically
- Ukraine crisis: Putin urges safe passage for surrounded government troops
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Google's delivery drones newest front in war with Amazon
- Papua New Guinea volcano erupts, forcing evacuations
- Canada's premiers pose like it's 1864 in Charlottetown
- B.C. teachers' strike: mediator Vince Ready stays involved
- California legislature passes 'yes means yes' bill
Giants pitcher breaks Jays lefty Buehrle's record of 45 straight.
Date 5 hrs ago, Duration 0:51, Views 14
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3Views: 1206
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.17Views: 138050
Date 20 hrs ago 2:40
Tooltip Information:'2 unruly female passengers': Plane turns backVideo by:Description: Sunwing flight en route to Cuba forced to return to Toronto after two disruptive passengers cause a disturbanceRating: 2.75Views: 7022
Date 14-08-27 0:30
Tooltip Information:Arizona gun instructor gives fatal Uzi lessonVideo by:Description: Images of the lesson stop just before 9-year-old accidentally shoots himRating: 2Views: 26484