Vancouver police seek witnesses in shoving death of 80-year-old
Vancouver police say they believe there were witnesses to Friday's confrontation in East Vancouver that left an 80-year-old man dead.
Yee Wong was allegedly pushed to the ground by a stranger just after 7 a.m. PT near New Brighton Park on McGill Street near Windermere Street.
Wong was conscious and suffering from a head injury when paramedics arrived on the scene, but his condition quickly deteriorated and he was pronounced dead in hospital.
Police arrested a 45-year-old man, who remains in custody. The two men didn't know each other, and investigators are now trying to clarify what led to the dispute.
Police say one of the witnesses was possibly an off-duty firefighter.
”It is important that detectives speak to these witnesses to get an accurate account of what happened to the victim," said VPD spokesman, Sgt. Randy Fincham.
- Justin Bieber faces assault, dangerous driving charges in Ontario
- Ebola outbreak: 'We need action now,' says CDC director Tom Frieden
- ISIS militants accused of ethnic cleansing in Iraq
- Jennifer Lawrence photo hack: Attention turns to FBI, Apple
- B.C. teachers' strike: How far apart are the 2 sides?
- Des Hague, CEO of Centreplate, resigns after abusing dog
- Halliburton to pay $1.1B US to settle Deepwater Horizon oil spill claims
- U.S. military wants multi-purpose sensors in Canada’s Arctic
- Uzi gun death accident exposes debate about children and guns
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
Wabush Mayor Colin Vardy upset with 911 plans, reports Chris Ensing
Date 46 mins ago, Duration 2:24, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 2:23
Tooltip Information:Quebec school bans homework for a yearVideo by:Description: A Quebec elementary school's pilot project has placed a near-complete ban on homework, saying students at that age should spend more time with their parents and friendsRating: 4Views: 58
Date 14 hrs ago 4:37
Tooltip Information:How long will the teachers' strike last?Video by:Description: Renee Filippone looks at how far apart the BCTF and the BCPSEA are in their demands and concessionsRating: 4Views: 773