Vancouver police seek witnesses in shoving death of 80-year-old
Vancouver police say they believe there were witnesses to Friday's confrontation in East Vancouver that left an 80-year-old man dead.
Yee Wong was allegedly pushed to the ground by a stranger just after 7 a.m. PT near New Brighton Park on McGill Street near Windermere Street.
Wong was conscious and suffering from a head injury when paramedics arrived on the scene, but his condition quickly deteriorated and he was pronounced dead in hospital.
Police arrested a 45-year-old man, who remains in custody. The two men didn't know each other, and investigators are now trying to clarify what led to the dispute.
Police say one of the witnesses was possibly an off-duty firefighter.
”It is important that detectives speak to these witnesses to get an accurate account of what happened to the victim," said VPD spokesman, Sgt. Randy Fincham.
- Ukraine crisis: Russia, Ukraine trade blame for deadly gun attack
- Mounties on medical, stress leave fear new dismissal process
- Calgary stabbings: Zackariah Rathwell's family breaks silence
- Pro-marijuana protesters hit Parliament Hill
- Queen Elizabeth releases grinning portrait for 88th birthday
- Why doesn't Easter have a fixed date?
- Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76
- Alistair MacLeod, acclaimed Canadian writer, dead at 77
- Ottawa toddler fights for his life after TV falls on him
- Bear gets head stuck in plastic jar in Greater Sudbury
Freelance reporter Megan Williams compares the style of Pope Francis with that of his predecessors
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 1:53, Views 69
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 8 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76Video by:Description: Former professional boxer and long-time advocate for the wrongly convicted died Sunday in TorontoRating: 3.75Views: 8943
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.1Views: 8468
Date 5 hrs ago 1:18
Tooltip Information:Toddler's grandma speaks after TV falls on boyVideo by:Description: Frances Barbe says her grandson was reaching while everyone else was asleep.Rating: 4Views: 493