Red Deer to fight growing presence of organized crime
Officials in Red Deer, Alta., are taking new measures to combat the growing problem of organized crime in their community.
This month the city will dedicate 15 law enforcement officers to its own Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team, otherwise known as a provincial ALERT unit assigned to tackle serious organized crime.
"Within the seven large municipalities, Red Deer is the only community that doesn't have an up and running ALERT team. That really that was for geographic reasons because we're so close to Calgary and Edmonton that we were able to draw on those resources … at times of need. But I think the issues within the Red Deer area have grown to where it's time to establish a full ALERT team within Red Deer," said Supt. Warren Dosko of Red Deer RCMP.
Supt. Dosko spoke with Calgary Eyeopener host David Gray about the initiative.
- To hear the entire interview, click on the "Listen" button above.
- Don Frigo shooting death: Canada-wide warrant issued for Boris Panovski
- NASA's SpaceX, Boeing deal a giant leap for space flight
- Scotland referendum: Voters say No to independence from U.K.
- Don Spirit, Florida shooter of 6 grandchildren, daughter, self, was on probation
- Iranian youth dancing to Pharrell Williams' 'Happy' given suspended sentences
- Apple's iPhone 6 selling out early in Canada
- Canadian navy to retire four Cold War era ships: Sources
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Iranian youth dancing to Pharell Williams' 'Happy' given suspended sentences
- Escape from Los Cabos: Some Canadians return, some stuck in hurricane zone
Australian Jack Cooksey, who waited in line all night to be the first to buy an iPhone 6 in Perth, drops his new smartphone on camera
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 0:42, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.55Views: 52630
Date 14-09-18 2:22
Tooltip Information:Artificial sweeteners may cause obesityVideo by:Description: Consumption of artificial sweeteners coincides with the obesity and diabetes epidemicsRating: 3.2Views: 1261
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.62Views: 33460