Body of Alberta canoeist recovered near Fort McKay
The body of a Lac La Biche, Alta., canoeist missing since June 12, was recovered Sunday in the Athabasca River north of Fort McKay.
Dr.Gordon Lippolt, 66, was on a canoe trip with three other Lac La Biche men earlier this month when his canoe was caught up in powerful currents in the surging Christina River.
One canoe capsized, but was pushed nearer the shoreline allowing two of the men to swim ashore.
However the canoe containing Lippolt and his 58-year-old companion Paul Richard disappeared upstream.
The search for Richard's body continues.
The exact cause of Lippolt's death is not yet confirmed pending the results of the autopsy.
- Firefighters injured battling Mississauga industrial warehouse blaze
- Ron MacLean in hotseat over comment about Quebec refs
- Calgary stabbing victim Lawrence Hong to be remembered
- Lisa Raitt to enhance rail safety measures in wake of Lac-Mégantic
- The Koch brothers: Who are they and why do Democrats hate them?
- Everest avalanche: How a Sherpa strike will affect Nepal's tourist industry
- Maritime flooding fears grow as rainfall warnings issued
- Travel insurance and extreme sports: How Canadians can protect themselves
- 'Fairies' billboard backfires for St. John's opera company
- B.C. car dealers may be violating drivers' privacy, claims whistleblower
Tampa Bay were swept out of the first round of playoffs by Montreal
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:58, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:08
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator Ron MacLean found himself in hot water Tuesday night after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff games.Rating: 4Views: 1004
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.01Views: 41053
Date 2 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 4Views: 0