'Gimli Glider' not sold at Ontario auction
The highest bid wasn't high enough to nab a piece of Canadian aviation history.
The Boeing 767, known as the Gimli Glider, was on the auction block this afternoon in Mississauga, Ont.
The Gimli Glider was being auctioned off by Collector Car Productions.
Terry Lobzun, spokesperson for Collector Car Productions, said it was hoped the plane would sell for more than $2.5 million.
The highest bid was $425,000, which Lobzun said was below the reserve price.
Collector Car Productions will now follow up and try to find a buyer in the next few weeks.
Lobzun said he would love to see the Gimli Glider end up in the town of Gimli, but he's not optimistic that will happen. In 1983, the plane ran out of fuel on a flight from Montreal to Edmonton, but was able to glide to a safe landing at a decommissioned airstrip in Gimli.
It continued as an Air Canada passenger plane until it was retired from its fleet in 2008. It has been sitting in a warehouse in California ever since.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
Struck and killed Kevin Ward. Jr. during a sprint car race.
Date 51 mins ago, Duration 0:39, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 4Views: 0
Date 2 hrs ago 1:23
Tooltip Information:Manitoba woman with amputated leg adopts 3-legged dogVideo by:Description: A Neepawa woman who lost her leg has adopted a three-legged dog, and the pair have spent the last few months learning to walk again together.Rating: 4Views: 0
Date 9 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.4Views: 2958