Winnipeg's latest homicide victim ID'd
A man who was beaten to death has been identified by Winnipeg police as Michael Charles Parker, 33, the city's 12th victim of homicide in 2012.
Parker was injured in the parking lot of the Thriftlodge Motor Inn, in the 1400 block of Notre Dame Avenue around 11:30 p.m. CT Thursday.
He managed to make his way to a nearby home where he was found, but he died later in hospital.
Police also announced on Saturday that a suspect in the case had been arrested and charged.
Although he was injured in a parking lot adjacent to an off-sale beer store, police said Parker had not been robbed.
Police said it appeared Parker was in the Thriftlodge Motor Inn prior to the attack. They added that the victim and the suspect were not known to each other and that their first encounter was in the parking lot.
Police did not elaborate on the nature of Parker's injuries.
Shane Kenneth Pruden, 40, of Winnipeg, was arrested Friday and has been charged with second-degree murder. He is well known to police.
Pruden remains in custody and police said their investigation is continuing.
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Regulator battles telecom companies over 'pay-to-pay' billing fees
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Ukraine crisis: Pro-Russia rebels control coastal town
- Iceland volcano: Aviation warning level lowered to orange
- Gannet population in grave shape off Newfoundland, scientists warn
- B.C. tour bus crashes on Coquihalla Highway, 43 injured, 5 critically
B.C. tour bus crashes on the Coquihalla Highway, 43 injured, 5 critically
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 4:11, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 4Views: 0
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.17Views: 138856
Date 11 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.16Views: 4617