Bacteria outbreak restricts access to Montreal hospital
Montreal's Santa Cabrini Hospital is closing its doors to visitors because of an outbreak to an antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
The hospital will only allow visitors for special cases on compassionate grounds.
Since January the hospital has seen 65 cases of Vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE).
Vancomycin is one of the last lines of defence against bacteria resistant to other antibiotics such as penicillins.
The hospital is currently aware of 37 cases where patients are carrying the bacteria.
Hospital spokesman Rocco Famiglietti, said the number of cases has stabilized since last week.
He said all new patients who enter the emergency room are tested for VRE.
The hospital has also increased its cleaning staff, and employees are wearing protective gloves and jackets to help prevent the spread of the bacteria.
- Lee Joon-seok, South Korea ferry captain, faces 5 charges
- Calgary stabbings: Funerals for 3 of 5 victims set for Monday
- Air Canada investigating luggage toss caught on video
- Kevin Martin retires from curling
- Mount Everest avalanche: Search continues for buried Nepalese guides
- Amanda Todd case: Dutch suspect may have targeted other Canadian children
- Ukraine crisis: Pro-Russia militants shrug off Geneva deal
- N.B. officials warn of more flooding due to 35-km-long ice mass
- Anti-Semitic flyers rattle eastern Ukraine's Jewish community: Derek Stoffel
- Share a juicer, your dog or a room in your home? How the sharing economy took off
Ducks 'gamer' Getzlaf nets 2 points to sink Stars.
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 1:20, Views 35
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-04-17 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.68Views: 28049
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 5Views: 585