Bacteria outbreak restricts access to Montreal hospital
Montreal's Santa Cabrini Hospital is closing its doors to visitors because of an outbreak to an antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
The hospital will only allow visitors for special cases on compassionate grounds.
Since January the hospital has seen 65 cases of Vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE).
Vancomycin is one of the last lines of defence against bacteria resistant to other antibiotics such as penicillins.
The hospital is currently aware of 37 cases where patients are carrying the bacteria.
Hospital spokesman Rocco Famiglietti, said the number of cases has stabilized since last week.
He said all new patients who enter the emergency room are tested for VRE.
The hospital has also increased its cleaning staff, and employees are wearing protective gloves and jackets to help prevent the spread of the bacteria.
- McDonald's foreign worker practices halted in face of investigation
- B.C. earthquake: 6.7 magnitude quake hits near Port Alice, B.C.
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspects' lawyers want Crown to testify
- Weyburn restaurant defends staffing moves and use of foreign temps
- New study picks the best Canadian cities for women
- Abbotsford police shoot mentally ill man with rubber bullets
- Gas price jump 'doesn't make sense'
- Explosion at Mississauga warehouse injures 4 firefighters
- Canada gets Happy with Pharrell Williams dance videos
- New York police face backlash for #myNYPD photo campaign
Health officials hope more people will seek vaccination
Date 56 mins ago, Duration 2:01, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 9 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 3.3Views: 10660
Date 5 hrs ago 2:09
Tooltip Information:Criminal charges coming after Winnipeg hockey fightVideo by:Description: Police say charges are pending against three people involved in an on-ice brawl at a hockey tournament in Winnipeg.Rating: 3.5Views: 707
Date 14-04-22 3:08
Tooltip Information:CBC reporter helps reconnect familyVideo by:Description: CBC's Neil Herland helped Perry Wilson reunite with his sister and brother after 20 years apart.Rating: 3.86Views: 14294