Bacteria outbreak restricts access to Montreal hospital
Montreal's Santa Cabrini Hospital is closing its doors to visitors because of an outbreak to an antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
The hospital will only allow visitors for special cases on compassionate grounds.
Since January the hospital has seen 65 cases of Vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE).
Vancomycin is one of the last lines of defence against bacteria resistant to other antibiotics such as penicillins.
The hospital is currently aware of 37 cases where patients are carrying the bacteria.
Hospital spokesman Rocco Famiglietti, said the number of cases has stabilized since last week.
He said all new patients who enter the emergency room are tested for VRE.
The hospital has also increased its cleaning staff, and employees are wearing protective gloves and jackets to help prevent the spread of the bacteria.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
CBC's Eli Glasner checks out the annual nerdfest for fans of sci-fi, horror and comics
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 3:24, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 4Views: 1366
Date 13 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 7451
Date 7 hrs ago 2:46
Tooltip Information:Putin calls for escape corridor for Ukraine troopsVideo by:Description: Rebels agree to give Ukrainian troops safe passage but Ukrainian troops must lay down arms: rebel leaderRating: 4Views: 2553