Bus accident Friday caused by high winds from storm
A bus carrying 15 workers home from the Duck Pond mine in Central Newfoundland was blown off the Trans-Canada Highway Friday evening.
The accident occurred a few kilometres west of its Grand Falls-Windsor destination at approximately 5:30 p.m.
Some of the workers and the driver suffered minor injuries.
Larry Bartlett, general manager of the Teck Resources mine, said the workers told him it was a strange feeling.
"They said it was really strange, it was like the wind picked the bus up on the front," Bartlett said. "They stayed in their own lane, just went into the ditch and then turned over on its side.
"There was no slip, sliding or anything. It was just like the bus got picked up by the wind."
He said it was a matter of luck that most of the passengers were sitting on the right side of the bus when it was tipped over onto its right side.
Police said everyone got out through the emergency door at the rear of the bus.
- B.C. teachers' strike: parents scramble for daycare spaces
- Eugenie Bouchard succumbs to Makarova, heat at U.S. Open
- Jennifer Lawrence among celebrity victims in leak of nude photos
- Iraq PM pledges to root out ISIS militants
- Tomasz Gladkowski, 39, dies trying to rescue drowning son from Lake Huron
- Devin Scullion defies odds at 18 with aging disease progeria
- Collège de Saint-Ambroise in Jonquière bans homework for a year
- Finance Canada now sees middle-class families in rosy hue
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
- Ukraine crisis: Separatists soften stance on independence
Technology expert Graham Williams offers advice on how to protect information you store on your personal cloud
Date 58 mins ago, Duration 3:29, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 1:54
Tooltip Information:Devin Scullion turns 18Video by:Description: A Hamilton teenager who suffers from a rare genetic condition that causes rapid aging, has celebrated his 18th birthday.Rating: 4Views: 299
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.19Views: 104513