Power gradually being restored for people on Northeast Avalon
As of 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, there are still reports of power outages for some customers on the east coast of Newfoundland following a blizzard that knocked power out in many parts of the island on Friday.
Michelle Coughlan with Newfoundland Power says they were down to about 300 customers who were still without power, and these remaining customers should expect power back Sunday evening.
At approximately 11:30 a.m. they were reporting 800 people were still dealing with power outages in their homes.
At one point during Friday's storm, there were an estimated 75,000 people reporting power outages across the island.
She said crews are now responding to individual isolated calls, which are more time consuming.
Anyone experiencing a power outage is encouraged to contact the utility by phone or by Twitter to ensure their outage has been logged into their system.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 1:04, Views 24
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 94713
Date 14-08-29 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 25754
Date 4 hrs ago 1:04
Tooltip Information:U.S. Open: Eugenie Bouchard survives Zahlavova StrycovaVideo by:Description: Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.Rating: 4Views: 24
Date 10 hrs ago 1:53
Tooltip Information:Teacher fired for giving zeros wins appealVideo by:Description: Appeal board rules Lynden Dorval was treated unfairly when he was suspended and fired for giving zeros to his studentsRating: 5Views: 1093