Power gradually being restored for people on Northeast Avalon
As of 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, there are still reports of power outages for some customers on the east coast of Newfoundland following a blizzard that knocked power out in many parts of the island on Friday.
Michelle Coughlan with Newfoundland Power says they were down to about 300 customers who were still without power, and these remaining customers should expect power back Sunday evening.
At approximately 11:30 a.m. they were reporting 800 people were still dealing with power outages in their homes.
At one point during Friday's storm, there were an estimated 75,000 people reporting power outages across the island.
She said crews are now responding to individual isolated calls, which are more time consuming.
Anyone experiencing a power outage is encouraged to contact the utility by phone or by Twitter to ensure their outage has been logged into their system.
- Ukraine protest crowd of 500,000 topples Lenin statue
- Prairie deep freeze means more wind chill warnings
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
- Rob Ford upstages Santa Claus at Etobicoke parade
- Atheist billboard ads rejected in Vancouver
- Nelson Mandela honoured with national day of prayer
- Newlyweds killed man for thrills, say police
- Did You See That? Brooks Orpik leaves on stretcher
- RCMP step up video surveillance of Parliament Hill
- Obama puts odds of Iran nuclear deal at 50-50, or worse
A service was held for former South African president Nelson Mandela in Saint Catherine's Church in Bethlehem on Sunday. Duration: 00:54
Date 54 mins ago, Duration 0:54, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 17 hrs ago 2:08
Tooltip Information:Ford paradeVideo by:Description: Shut out of the Toronto Santa Claus parade last month, a jolly Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was welcomed with mixed feelings as he strolled down Lake Shore Boulevard for Etobicoke’s annual parade on Saturday.Rating: 4.16Views: 1461
Date 13-12-07 1:57
Tooltip Information:J.S. Giguere flips outVideo by:Description: Colorado Avalanche goalie pushes the net after a Flames goal is scored because he believes he was interfered with by Lee Stempniak.Rating: 3Views: 8622
Date 3 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:Day of prayer for MandelaVideo by:Description: CBC's Derek Stoffel is in Johannesburg on South African's national day of prayer and reflection for Nelson Mandela.Rating: 4Views: 59