Samatha Walsh's killer recommended for full parole
The man who killed a teenaged girl in Fleur de Lys almost 13 years ago is now being recommended for full parole.
Officials released a decision on Friday to extend day parole for Michael Lewis, 29, for another three months.
During that period, a hearing will be held to decide if he will be granted full parole. Lewis's case management team has made that recommendation.
Lewis, who was 16 at the time, strangled Samantha Walsh, 13, in a cabin on the Baie Verte Peninsula in February 2000. After misleading investigators for 17 days, he finally confessed to the crime.
He was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for seven years.
Lewis applied for parole in 2007 and was turned down. But in November 2010, he was granted day parole. Officials determined that he was at a low risk to reoffend.
- B.C. teachers' strike: parents scramble for daycare spaces
- Eugenie Bouchard succumbs to Makarova, heat at U.S. Open
- Jennifer Lawrence among celebrity victims in leak of nude photos
- Iraq PM pledges to root out ISIS militants
- Tomasz Gladkowski, 39, dies trying to rescue drowning son from Lake Huron
- Devin Scullion defies odds at 18 with aging disease progeria
- Collège de Saint-Ambroise in Jonquière bans homework for a year
- Finance Canada now sees middle-class families in rosy hue
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
- Ukraine crisis: Separatists soften stance on independence
B.C. Teachers' Federation president's one-on-one interview with CBC's Andrew Chang the eve before school is supposed to start
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 5:03, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 3:29
Tooltip Information:Protecting your personal informationVideo by:Description: Technology expert Graham Williams offers advice on how to protect information you store on your personal cloudRating: 4Views: 0
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.19Views: 105172
Date 1 hr ago 4:10
Tooltip Information:Ukraine's growing turmoilVideo by:Description: NATO says it needs to create a rapid reaction force to respond to Russian aggression against any of its members, as well as UkraineRating: 4Views: 0