St. John's airport resumes operations
Things started to return to normal at the St. John's International around midnight Saturday after the airport experienced approximately 48 hours of inactivity.
Crews were able to clear the runways after being walloped by snow during the storm that brought the city to a standstill on Thursday night.
About 160 flights were affected by the airfield closures.
The airport authority had originally estimated that operations would resume at noon on Saturday. However, high winds and snow drifts approaching 10 feet in height resulted in the airport extending the closure to midnight.
Airport spokesperson Marie Manning said it was later than originally anticipated that crews were able to start clearing runways.
Travellers are recommended to check with their airline carriers for updates and flight information.
- Malaysia Airlines jet search turns up nothing but ocean trash
- Autistic son 'prisoner' in Ottawa hospital
- South Korean trade deal sets up fight between auto, agriculture sectors
- Why bitcoin isn't dead yet
- Colorado gets high on pot revenue, marijuana tourists
- Sochi Paralympics confronts Russia's attitude towards disabled
- Avalanches in B.C. and Alberta claim 3 more lives
- Canadian Screen Awards 2014: Orphan Black, Gabrielle win
- Canada falling behind on promise to Syria's refugees
- Brian McKeever wins cross-country Paralympic gold
Fredericton's monthly bus passes offer little in the way of security features to thwart counterfeiting.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:07, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-03-08 3:32
Tooltip Information:Stolen passports may be on planeVideo by:Description: There is mystery surrounding the identity of two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, who may have been travelling on stolen passportsRating: 2.7Views: 10329
Date 20 hrs ago 1:55
Tooltip Information:RAW: Black bear determined to have a snackVideo by:Description: Outfitter Pat Garrett shot this video of a black bear back in May 2013 - but it is only now going viral.Rating: 3.76Views: 33157
Date 14-03-08 2:14
Tooltip Information:2 Canadians on board missing planeVideo by:Description: We are learning more about two Canadians who are among the missing on the Malaysian airlines flight, Aarti Pole reportsRating: 4Views: 10656