St. John's airport resumes operations
Things started to return to normal at the St. John's International around midnight Saturday after the airport experienced approximately 48 hours of inactivity.
Crews were able to clear the runways after being walloped by snow during the storm that brought the city to a standstill on Thursday night.
About 160 flights were affected by the airfield closures.
The airport authority had originally estimated that operations would resume at noon on Saturday. However, high winds and snow drifts approaching 10 feet in height resulted in the airport extending the closure to midnight.
Airport spokesperson Marie Manning said it was later than originally anticipated that crews were able to start clearing runways.
Travellers are recommended to check with their airline carriers for updates and flight information.
- McDonald's foreign worker practices halted in face of investigation
- Gas price jump 'doesn't make sense'
- Ron MacLean won't be reprimanded over Quebec refs comment
- Firefighters were unaware Peel warehouse contained explosive materials
- The Koch brothers: Who are they and why do Democrats hate them?
- Rail safety improvements announced by Lisa Raitt in wake of Lac-Mégantic
- Sarah Burke among Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame inductees
- 24 Sussex weekend medical call not for Harper family member: RCMP
- Foreign worker program abusers could face fraud charges, says minister
- Canadian robbed in Guatemala
Shakespeare's Globe theatre on Wednesday launched a two-year world tour of Hamlet that will visit every single country on earth. Duration: 01:08
Date 18 mins ago, Duration 1:08, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 20 hrs ago 3:08
Tooltip Information:CBC reporter helps reconnect familyVideo by:Description: CBC's Neil Herland helped Perry Wilson reunite with his sister and brother after 20 years apart.Rating: 3.95Views: 11130
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.03Views: 46000
Date 7 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 3.41Views: 8759