St. John's student diagnosed with tuberculosis
Newfoundland and Labrador's largest health authority says a student at Holy Heart of Mary High School in St. John's has a confirmed case of tuberculosis.
Eastern Health officials would not give the age of the student or say whether the student is a boy or a girl.
Health officials have been notifying anyone who would normally be in close contact with the student, so those people can be tested for the disease.
The Eastern School District has also sent letters home to parents of students who are friends of the student with tuberculosis.
"The risk to students who are identified as close contacts is anticipated to be very low," said Dr. David Allison, medical officer of health for Eastern Health.
"Any individual who is identified as a contact will be notified by us directly — this means that if parents have not been notified about their child, the child is not considered to be a close contact."
Treatment for the disease involves taking medication for six to 12 months.
- Justin Trudeau gets apology from Sun Media
- Universities under pressure to combat sexual misconduct on campus
- Ebola outbreak: Liberia's newest, largest treatment clinic already at capacity
- Smartphones at weddings: Are shutterbugs ruining the bride's big day?
- Luka Magnotta trial hears how torso found in trash outside apartment
- Galiano Island: fish boat overturns, 7 survivors pulled from water
- Hong Kong protests: 5 things to know about the 'umbrella revolution'
- Hong Kong protests: a peaceful night of singing in 'umbrella revolution'
- Canada's ISIS mission: Cabinet to debate sending fighters, surveillance planes
- Dennis Allen, Raiders head coach, fired after 0-4 start
Kansas City beats New England 41-14.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 0:52, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-28 2:13
Tooltip Information:Montreal explosion injures 5Video by:Description: Emergency crews are at the scene of an explosion in Montreal's Rosemont borough that left 5 people injuredRating: 3.4Views: 41113
Date 11 hrs ago 3:01
Tooltip Information:High-profile police officer takes his own lifeVideo by:Description: Staff Sgt. Kal Ghadban, 43, died Sunday at the Ottawa police headquarters.Rating: 3.08Views: 8602