St. John's student diagnosed with tuberculosis
Newfoundland and Labrador's largest health authority says a student at Holy Heart of Mary High School in St. John's has a confirmed case of tuberculosis.
Eastern Health officials would not give the age of the student or say whether the student is a boy or a girl.
Health officials have been notifying anyone who would normally be in close contact with the student, so those people can be tested for the disease.
The Eastern School District has also sent letters home to parents of students who are friends of the student with tuberculosis.
"The risk to students who are identified as close contacts is anticipated to be very low," said Dr. David Allison, medical officer of health for Eastern Health.
"Any individual who is identified as a contact will be notified by us directly — this means that if parents have not been notified about their child, the child is not considered to be a close contact."
Treatment for the disease involves taking medication for six to 12 months.
- Calgary stabbing victims identified as students, bandmates
- South Korean ferry sinking leaves 3 dead, almost 300 missing
- Matthew de Grood: Who is the Calgary stabbing suspect?
- Calgary stabbings: How knife crime in Canada can cause 'moral panic'
- Brain drain challenges First Nation communities across Canada
- Toronto Hydro restores power after massive blackout
- Jim Flaherty's family, colleagues gather for state funeral today
- Tax credits not the best way to help students
- Treatment of farm livestock: Deciding what's ethical
- South Korean ferry sinking kills 2; 295 missing
China's economy grew 7.4% in the first three months of the year - slightly better than expected, but below the government's target.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:51, Views 2
Date 20 hrs ago 7:08
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: 5 youths deadVideo by:Description: Neighbour Doug Jones interviewed after 3 declared dead at scene, 2 more later died in hospitalRating: 3.24Views: 30162
Date 16 hrs ago 1:19
Tooltip Information:RAW: Calf rescued in flood waterVideo by:Description: Video taken from Tammy McLean of a one-month-old calf trying to swim to shore in western New BrunswickRating: 1.5Views: 1506
Date 14-04-14 5:49
Tooltip Information:What stolen SINs might mean to youVideo by:Description: Raymond VanKrimpen discusses the Heartbleed bug breach at Revenue Canada, and what it might mean for consumersRating: 3.76Views: 18078