A missing hunter has been located on the ice near Igloolik, Nunavut, after an overnight search.
Celestino Uyarak with the search committee in Igloolik said Simon Qamanirq lost his snowmobile when it went through the ice Thursday night.
Uyarak said Qamanirq was able to pull himself from the water and use a satellite phone to guide the searchers to him.
It took them most of the night.
"He's a bit cold but he's fine,” said Uyarak, shortly after volunteers found Qamanirq early this morning.
Uyarak said searchers were bundling him in warm clothing before heading back to the community.
A hamlet official said Qamanirq was taken the local health centre to be checked out.
Three of the volunteers who went out searching for him last night also ran into trouble when their snowmachine broke down.
Uyarak said they were found later, asleep in a tent and waiting for rescue.
- Search called off for missing Nunavut elder
- Searchers so far unable to find Ontario man
- Search for Canadian missing in Australia enters 3rd day
- Search underway for Nunavut elder who fell off sled
- Brampton man reported missing in Australia
- Missing Biggar-area man's body recovered from slough
- Search resumes for missing Agnico-Eagle worker
- Search for missing Saint John woman expands
- Agnico-Eagle worker missing near Rankin Inlet
- Missing Nunavik woman found dead
Oklahoma loses 24 people, including 9 children
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 3:41, Views 2118
Video by: CBC - Top Stories