Igloolik hunter found safe after search
A missing hunter has been located on the ice near Igloolik, Nunavut, after an overnight search.
Celestino Uyarak with the search committee in Igloolik said Simon Qamanirq lost his snowmobile when it went through the ice Thursday night.
Uyarak said Qamanirq was able to pull himself from the water and use a satellite phone to guide the searchers to him.
It took them most of the night.
"He's a bit cold but he's fine,” said Uyarak, shortly after volunteers found Qamanirq early this morning.
Uyarak said searchers were bundling him in warm clothing before heading back to the community.
A hamlet official said Qamanirq was taken the local health centre to be checked out.
Three of the volunteers who went out searching for him last night also ran into trouble when their snowmachine broke down.
Uyarak said they were found later, asleep in a tent and waiting for rescue.
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with jet carrying 239 people
- Shipbuilding memo shows more delays, cost overruns
- Condom piercer loses Supreme Court appeal
- Former Mountie charged with 8 sex assaults against youths
- Inability to enjoy music recognized as a brain condition
- Transgender woman's jail treatment prompts complaints
- Elderly dementia patient slips hospital, takes cab 80 km
- Disabled RCMP vets strike benefits deal with Ottawa
- Air Canada may hike fares, fees due to low dollar
- University of Ottawa prof decries administration 'gutlessness'
After union gets strike mandate, some parents consider options
Date 40 mins ago, Duration 2:18, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories