Igloolik hunter found safe after search
A missing hunter has been located on the ice near Igloolik, Nunavut, after an overnight search.
Celestino Uyarak with the search committee in Igloolik said Simon Qamanirq lost his snowmobile when it went through the ice Thursday night.
Uyarak said Qamanirq was able to pull himself from the water and use a satellite phone to guide the searchers to him.
It took them most of the night.
"He's a bit cold but he's fine,” said Uyarak, shortly after volunteers found Qamanirq early this morning.
Uyarak said searchers were bundling him in warm clothing before heading back to the community.
A hamlet official said Qamanirq was taken the local health centre to be checked out.
Three of the volunteers who went out searching for him last night also ran into trouble when their snowmachine broke down.
Uyarak said they were found later, asleep in a tent and waiting for rescue.
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspect accused of threatening girl's father
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 will be found, expert says
- Rob Ford’s 'cranes in the sky' line examined by economists
- 4 new species of 'killer' sponges discovered off Pacific coast
- Air Canada investigating luggage toss caught on video
- New Brunswick flood concerns continue
- How dearth of Canadian teams in NHL hockey playoffs will hit local economies
- Mount Everest avalanche: 13th body pulled from snow
- Ralph Nader slams GM's stance on 'hypothetical casualties'
- Calgary stabbings: Funerals for 3 of 5 victims set for Monday
The search resumes for three missing local guides after an avalanche kills 13 Sherpas on the slopes of Mount Everest.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:38, Views 86
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3Views: 1221
Date 14-04-17 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.68Views: 28327