Igloolik hunter found safe after search
A missing hunter has been located on the ice near Igloolik, Nunavut, after an overnight search.
Celestino Uyarak with the search committee in Igloolik said Simon Qamanirq lost his snowmobile when it went through the ice Thursday night.
Uyarak said Qamanirq was able to pull himself from the water and use a satellite phone to guide the searchers to him.
It took them most of the night.
"He's a bit cold but he's fine,” said Uyarak, shortly after volunteers found Qamanirq early this morning.
Uyarak said searchers were bundling him in warm clothing before heading back to the community.
A hamlet official said Qamanirq was taken the local health centre to be checked out.
Three of the volunteers who went out searching for him last night also ran into trouble when their snowmachine broke down.
Uyarak said they were found later, asleep in a tent and waiting for rescue.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 1:04, Views 24
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 94713
Date 14-08-29 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 25754
Date 4 hrs ago 1:04
Tooltip Information:U.S. Open: Eugenie Bouchard survives Zahlavova StrycovaVideo by:Description: Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.Rating: 4Views: 24
Date 10 hrs ago 1:53
Tooltip Information:Teacher fired for giving zeros wins appealVideo by:Description: Appeal board rules Lynden Dorval was treated unfairly when he was suspended and fired for giving zeros to his studentsRating: 5Views: 1093