Igloolik hunter found safe after search
A missing hunter has been located on the ice near Igloolik, Nunavut, after an overnight search.
Celestino Uyarak with the search committee in Igloolik said Simon Qamanirq lost his snowmobile when it went through the ice Thursday night.
Uyarak said Qamanirq was able to pull himself from the water and use a satellite phone to guide the searchers to him.
It took them most of the night.
"He's a bit cold but he's fine,” said Uyarak, shortly after volunteers found Qamanirq early this morning.
Uyarak said searchers were bundling him in warm clothing before heading back to the community.
A hamlet official said Qamanirq was taken the local health centre to be checked out.
Three of the volunteers who went out searching for him last night also ran into trouble when their snowmachine broke down.
Uyarak said they were found later, asleep in a tent and waiting for rescue.
- Justin Trudeau's pot stance in line with 1 in 3 Canadians, poll suggests
- Justin Bourque found fit to stand trial in Moncton shootings
- Gaza conflict: Israel, Hamas both committing war crimes, UN official says
- How dinosaurs shrank into birds
- Toronto ranked 15th on global list of millionaires
- Pope Francis's 10 happiness tips: Turn off the TV and don't try to convert others
- 'Mr. Big' stings get stricter rules from Supreme Court
- Georgia Walsh: Minivan driver charged in death of 7-year-old
- Bass Coast festival headdress bans ruffles feathers and sparks debate
- Scott Morgan wins gold, silver in gymnastics
Rescue workers in western India are working to locate survivors of a landslide that has claimed at least 30 lives and buried up to 200 people.
Date 36 mins ago, Duration 1:32, Views 607