Iqaluit dump fire extinguished
Iqaluit mayor John Graham says crews have extinguished a fire at the city’s dump.
Around 10:30 a.m. ET Friday morning, municipal enforcement officers saw the smoke and alerted the fire department.
“When they arrived on the scene there was an area of about 150 square metres of burning debris,” said Graham. “By virtue of the fact that it was located close to the main entrance, it was easily accessible to the fire crews.”
Graham said it took fire crews about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.
There were three municipal water trucks at the scene.
Once the fire was out, landfill employees used bulldozers to assist the fire department.
Graham said they will maintain a fire watch on site for 12 hours to make sure it does not flare up again.
He said the cause of the fire is unknown.
A previous fire at the Iqaluit dump in the fall of 2010 burned for 36 days.
- Ahmad Waseem, jihadi in Syria, ignored family's pleas to stay in Canada
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Michael Bociurkiw talks about being first at the crash site
- Gaza conflict: Palestinian rocket misfire hit Al-Shifa Hospital, Israel says
- Stoney Nakoda First Nation signs 'huge' oil deal with Chinese firm
- Calgary stabbings: Brentwood house now up for sale
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OK's sale of Clippers
- EU trade deal troubles denied by Canadian, German officials
- Nanoleaf Bloom light bulb dims without dimmer switch
- Pendant containing child's ashes returned to family
- Tornado confirmed in Grand Bend, Ont., Environment Canada says
Muslims across the world are taking part in Eid celebrations to mark the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:17, Views 9
Date 16 hrs ago 5:04
Tooltip Information:Damian Warner shatters men's decathlon 100m recordVideo by:Description: The Canadian impresses with a record time in Glasgow.Rating: 3.66Views: 2944
Date 10 hrs ago 0:41
Tooltip Information:The fastest Rubik's Cube solver you've ever seenVideo by:Description: Antoine Cantin is the world record holder for Rubik's Cube solving at 12.56 seconds.Rating: 2.5Views: 1119
Date 4 hrs ago 1:24
Tooltip Information:Canadian Sultana Frizell repeats as Commonwealth hammer throw champVideo by:Description: Breaks own games record with throw of 71.97 metres.Rating: 4Views: 119