Iqaluit dump fire extinguished
Iqaluit mayor John Graham says crews have extinguished a fire at the city’s dump.
Around 10:30 a.m. ET Friday morning, municipal enforcement officers saw the smoke and alerted the fire department.
“When they arrived on the scene there was an area of about 150 square metres of burning debris,” said Graham. “By virtue of the fact that it was located close to the main entrance, it was easily accessible to the fire crews.”
Graham said it took fire crews about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.
There were three municipal water trucks at the scene.
Once the fire was out, landfill employees used bulldozers to assist the fire department.
Graham said they will maintain a fire watch on site for 12 hours to make sure it does not flare up again.
He said the cause of the fire is unknown.
A previous fire at the Iqaluit dump in the fall of 2010 burned for 36 days.
- Lac-Mégantic train disaster: engineer's emergency calls released
- James Foley killing: ISIS remains 'long-term threat,' Chuck Hagel says
- John Baird's Twitter account prompts scrutiny of language commissioner
- Michael Brown shooting: Governor withdraws National Guard from Ferguson
- Hiker Julien Landry rescued days after fleeing up a tree to avoid bear
- Harper rebuffs renewed calls for murdered, missing women inquiry
- Ebola treatment of Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol holds lessons for others
- Wikipedia's medical errors and one doctor's fight to correct them
- Jesse Clarke's death caused by armed conflict: accused's foster mom
- Rise of part-time work no reason to worry, TD says
'The Woodstock of left-wing politics' began its 4-day run in Ottawa with a multi-part march to Parliament Hill.
Date 37 mins ago, Duration 3:24, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 4Views: 33
Date 14-08-20 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.84Views: 22808
Date 2 hrs ago 6:14
Tooltip Information:Identifying the British-accented killer of James FoleyVideo by:Description: Interview with Ghaffar Hussain, a director of a counter-extremism think tankRating: 4Views: 0