Iqaluit hospital renovations to be re-tendered
The contract for renovation work at Iqaluit's Qikiqtani General Hospital will be re-tendered, and that will likely mean delays for the project.
Renovations to the older wing of the hospital were already underway last month when Dowland Contracting abandoned the site, after running into financial trouble.
The contract will be re-tendered by the company that insured the project. It's not clear how long it will take to secure a new contractor.
In the meantime, the renovation work will soon come to a halt.
"It is stretching the limits of what we can do with the space we have right now,” said Monte Kehler, the hospital's director of support services.
“It's tough on staff, especially physicians who don't have permanent offices. If there's a long-term delay, we'll have to look at how else we can provide space for people to work and potentially other places that clients might have to be seen, outside the hospital."
The setback is not expected to cause any major changes to the project's budget. The renovations are expected to cost more than $36 million.
- James Foley the subject of failed U.S. rescue mission in Syria
- RCMP look into Calgary link with possible Islamic militants
- Justin Trudeau says he wants 170 Liberal MPs in the House
- Neanderthals, humans may have coexisted for thousands of years
- Beautiful aurora photos taken from space
- Billy Crystal tabbed to give Robin Williams tribute at Emmys
- Mohamed Yaffa accuses Air Canada of discrimination because he's Muslim
- Canadian ambassador Andrew Bennett says religious freedom 'violated' in China
- Michael Brown shooting: Eric Holder meets victim's family
- Quebec NDP MP Sana Hassainia defects over Mideast position
Dave Belisle gives great post-game speech after loss.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 3:34, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14 hrs ago 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.88Views: 17242
Date 13 hrs ago 2:04
Tooltip Information:Dinosaur egg excavation could yield rare fossilized babiesVideo by:Description: Paleontologists in Alberta say if a nest belonging to duck-billed dinosaurs is found, it would the first in CanadaRating: 5Views: 4127
Date 10 hrs ago 10:41
Tooltip Information:Ferguson looting victim speaksVideo by:Description: Jan Lalani owns a market with his father, established 20 years ago. It is the family's only source of incomeRating: 3.66Views: 1862