3 cats killed in Spryfield fire
A woman and her dog escaped a house fire in the Spryfield area of Halifax Saturday afternoon, but three cats died, according to fire crews.
Platoon Chief Mike Blackburn said his team was called to a duplex on Thornhill Drive around 2:30 p.m.
"On arrival the crews were faced with a heavy smoke condition. They entered the structure and encountered a fire in the basement. The fire was quickly extinguished. We had significant fire to the basement with heat and smoke damage throughout the first, second and third," he said.
Blackburn said the woman made it out of the house unharmed.
He said the fire did not spread to the other side of the duplex.
The fire department is investigating what caused the fire.
- North Korea's Jang Song Thaek, Kim Jong-un's uncle, executed
- Daniel Dale takes legal action against Rob Ford
- Pussy Riot case to be reviewed by top Russian court
- Beyoncé releases self-titled album
- Ex-PM John Diefenbaker sired 2 boys, families believe
- Canada Post cuts complaints likened to Toronto garbage dispute
- Flight crew use defibrillator to save Edmonton man at airport
- Mellissa Fung returns to Afghanistan, 5 years after abduction
- Phosphorus made in supernovas, study confirms
- 'Affluenza' defense earns Ethan Couch probation in fatal DUI
Chris Butler's goal with 4 seconds left in overtime gives Calgary the win on a tumultuous day at the Flames office.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:01, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13-12-11 0:37
Tooltip Information:Michigan Stadium transforms into an ice rinkVideo by:Description: Timelapse of The Big House as it morphs into an NHL rink for the Winter Classic on New Years Day where the Maples Leafs will face off against the Red Wings.Rating: 3.2Views: 13298