3 cats killed in Spryfield fire
A woman and her dog escaped a house fire in the Spryfield area of Halifax Saturday afternoon, but three cats died, according to fire crews.
Platoon Chief Mike Blackburn said his team was called to a duplex on Thornhill Drive around 2:30 p.m.
"On arrival the crews were faced with a heavy smoke condition. They entered the structure and encountered a fire in the basement. The fire was quickly extinguished. We had significant fire to the basement with heat and smoke damage throughout the first, second and third," he said.
Blackburn said the woman made it out of the house unharmed.
He said the fire did not spread to the other side of the duplex.
The fire department is investigating what caused the fire.
- Wynne slams Harper over missing, murdered aboriginal women comments
- Car crashes through Oshawa family's living room, bursts into flames
- Naomi Lewis's 'my big Jewish nose' essay sparks controversy
- Saskatchewan considered separation, Roy Romanow reveals
- Stephen Harper concerned by Russia's growing military presence in Arctic
- U.S. condemns Russian aid convoy into Ukraine, threatens more sanctions
- Gun smuggling charges for Markel Chiles, former U.S. judge
- Alfred Vuozzo, homicide victims had family links to fatal crash
- Ebola outbreak widens as death toll rises to 1,427
- Data theft: Cash registers vulnerable, says Homeland Security
Winnipeg beats Montreal 24-16.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:05, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 2:12
Tooltip Information:Hiker rescued days after fleeing bear in treeVideo by:Description: Julien Landry in stable condition in a Kelowna, B.C., hospital after concussion, injured and alone in the forest after a wild encounterRating: 4Views: 162
Date 14-08-21 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 2.88Views: 37488