Damaged HMCS Athabaskan resumes trek to Halifax
A navy warship whose hull was damaged while being towed from Ontario to Halifax has resumed its journey to its home port.
The Department of National Defence said the HMCS Athabaskan left North Sydney around 8:30 a.m. today and will arrive in Halifax in two or three days.
The military said tethering lines broke as the destroyer was being towed in rough waters off a rocky shoal near Cape Breton.
It had said minor, temporary repairs were made on the 40-year-old vessel to ensure its hull is watertight during the towing process.
The military says once the HMCS Athabaskan arrives in Halifax, officials will conduct a thorough assessment on the ship's condition.
The vessel had just undergone a $26.7 million refit in St. Catharines, Ont.
- Mohamed Fahmy: Egypt's president won't interfere with courts in Canadian's case
- Ebola outbreak: Burial team attacked in Sierra Leone amid 3-day lockdown
- Second man arrested in 2 days trying to enter White House
- Doug Ford officially launches his mayoral campaign
- ISIS takes over Syria Kurdish villages as thousands flee to Turkey
- Jean Chrétien says Canada is all in on Iraq mission
- Onslow man, 19, facing attempted murder charge
- Hurricane Odile: Newlyweds return to Whitehorse after storm
- Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire 'in name only,' says NATO chief
- Fire destroys St. John the Baptist church in Edmundston
Doug Ford officially launched his mayoral bid Saturday with an announcement to supporters at his campaign office in Etobicoke.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 4:26, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.71Views: 82260
Date 14-09-18 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.35Views: 10495
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 2.71Views: 4330