Dress donations bring glamour to grads on a budget
Cape Breton’s struggling economy is trickling down to high school graduates, leaving some of them to wonder how they’ll attend their prom.
The financial worry has inspired a new program by Community Cares. The group is collecting dress donations to help grads in need.
“I know that a lot of young women are opting out,” said Niki MacLean, a youth outreach worker in Sydney Mines. “We want to make it a special day, and every young woman should feel special on their prom day.”
Graduate Natasha Matthews, 20, comes from a family of eight. She said there is no extra money for a prom dress in her house.
“All the girls in your class, they’re all going out and they can afford all this stuff,” she said. “For the girls that can’t, it’s hard because it’s like ‘well, I don’t fit in.’”
Community Cares has collected 15 gowns so far, but hopes more will be donated.
Matthews has already picked her dress. She was overwhelmed as she tried on the glittery white gown.
“I think it’s the best thing that’s happened around here in a while,” she said.
- Sunwing Flight 656: Disruptive passengers force return to Pearson Airport
- Little Bay Islands in limbo as residents await word on relocation funds
- Peter MacKay poses in pro-gun 'No Compromise' T-shirt
- Ailina Tsarnaeva, sister of Boston bombing suspect, arrested for bomb threat
- Husband dies, wife survives 8 days after canoe capsizes in northern Sask.
- Arizona shooting range reviews policy after 9-year-old kills gun instructor
- Moncton RCMP Const. Dave Ross's dog Danny prepares to head back to work
- Veterans groups say Ottawa spending too much remembering old wars
- B.C. teachers' strike: Vince Ready to meet with Jim Iker and Peter Cameron, says BCTF
- Zara pulls kids' shirt design resembling WW II concentration camp uniforms
Blue Jays beat Red Sox to avoid sweep.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:43, Views 14
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.14Views: 118708
Date 17 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Arizona gun instructor gives fatal Uzi lessonVideo by:Description: Images of the lesson stop just before 9-year-old accidentally shoots himRating: 1Views: 18781