Dress donations bring glamour to grads on a budget
Cape Breton’s struggling economy is trickling down to high school graduates, leaving some of them to wonder how they’ll attend their prom.
The financial worry has inspired a new program by Community Cares. The group is collecting dress donations to help grads in need.
“I know that a lot of young women are opting out,” said Niki MacLean, a youth outreach worker in Sydney Mines. “We want to make it a special day, and every young woman should feel special on their prom day.”
Graduate Natasha Matthews, 20, comes from a family of eight. She said there is no extra money for a prom dress in her house.
“All the girls in your class, they’re all going out and they can afford all this stuff,” she said. “For the girls that can’t, it’s hard because it’s like ‘well, I don’t fit in.’”
Community Cares has collected 15 gowns so far, but hopes more will be donated.
Matthews has already picked her dress. She was overwhelmed as she tried on the glittery white gown.
“I think it’s the best thing that’s happened around here in a while,” she said.
- Scotland independence referendum polls closed
- Serena Vermeersch, 17, killed in apparent random attack
- Home Depot admits 56 million cards hit by security breach
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Ailing Rob Ford thanks supporters, endorses brother's mayoral bid
- Hospital ER times reveal some ‘disturbing’ waits
- Ebola a threat to national security, public health crisis, says WHO
- Cougar in Calgary killed after prowling outside hospital
- John Cantlie, British ISIS hostage, appears in new video
- Why was Mike Tyson allowed to enter Canada?
8 homicides over past 12 days 'unusual' for this year
Date 46 mins ago, Duration 1:45, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.32Views: 40775
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.68Views: 28936
Date 2 hrs ago 1:29
Tooltip Information:WARNING graphic content: Cougar shot, killed in Calgary RAWVideo by:Description: An Alberta wildlife officer has shot and killed a cougar that was prowling around Calgaryâs South Health Campus this morning. The video was shot by eye witness Shannon Andersen.Rating: 4Views: 20