Dress donations bring glamour to grads on a budget
Cape Breton’s struggling economy is trickling down to high school graduates, leaving some of them to wonder how they’ll attend their prom.
The financial worry has inspired a new program by Community Cares. The group is collecting dress donations to help grads in need.
“I know that a lot of young women are opting out,” said Niki MacLean, a youth outreach worker in Sydney Mines. “We want to make it a special day, and every young woman should feel special on their prom day.”
Graduate Natasha Matthews, 20, comes from a family of eight. She said there is no extra money for a prom dress in her house.
“All the girls in your class, they’re all going out and they can afford all this stuff,” she said. “For the girls that can’t, it’s hard because it’s like ‘well, I don’t fit in.’”
Community Cares has collected 15 gowns so far, but hopes more will be donated.
Matthews has already picked her dress. She was overwhelmed as she tried on the glittery white gown.
“I think it’s the best thing that’s happened around here in a while,” she said.
- Alison Redford flights: opposition politicians want RCMP probe
- Azaria Marthyman, Ebola doctor, returns home to Victoria
- Jake Gardiner signs 5-year, $20.25M deal with Leafs: reports
- Lord Nelson, wheelchair-accessible tall ship, sails into Halifax
- Damian Warner wins Commonwealth Games decathlon
- Twitter stock up 30% as company doubles revenue
- Athabasca's Dover oilsands deal held up by Chinese corruption probe
- Craig Premack recounts being shot during Cache Creek bike race
- Shale gas protesters sentenced to 15 months for violent clash with RCMP
- Ebola outbreak: More than doctors needed to contain West Africa's unprecedented crisis
Hammer thrower Jim Steacy of Lethbridge, Alberta won the men's event
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:51, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 4Views: 463