Fire destroys barn near Avonport, N.S.
A barn fire in the Avonport area of Nova Scotia has several fire departments responding.
The fire broke out around 10 a.m. in a 75-metre long barn on Bluff Road about halfway between Avonport and Hantsport.
Kirk Fredericks, chief of the nearby Wolfville Fire Department, said as of 12 p.m. there were still some spots on fire but the flames have been contained.
Fredericks said workers had put straw down, preparing for a new shipment of chickens.
“We suspect the process for laying straw for the chickens coming in next week [caused the fire],” he said.
No people or chickens were hurt in the fire. About six or seven fire departments from around Kings County responded to the fire.
- Saskatchewan considered separation, Roy Romanow reveals
- U.S. condemns Russian aid convoy into Ukraine, threatens more sanctions
- ISIS 'betraying' Muslims, says Calgary imam before hunger strike
- Leonardo DiCaprio visits Alberta's oilsands
- Naomi Lewis's 'my big Jewish nose' essay sparks controversy
- Iraq conflict: At least 64 dead in Sunni mosque attack
- Guillaume Donovan, David Foucher charged with Thunder Bay sex assault
- Burlington Skyway crash: Driver to plead not guilty
- Peeing in the ocean: Is it OK?
- Mount Polley spill: Testing finds elevated selenium in fish
Protesters against the former cricket star and populist cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri gathered in Islamabad on Friday. Duration: 00:50
Date 8 mins ago, Duration 0:49, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 3 hrs ago 2:12
Tooltip Information:Hiker rescued days after fleeing bear in treeVideo by:Description: Julien Landry in stable condition in a Kelowna, B.C., hospital after concussion, injured and alone in the forest after a wild encounterRating: 4Views: 323
Date 22 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 2.63Views: 29489