Fire destroys barn near Avonport, N.S.
A barn fire in the Avonport area of Nova Scotia has several fire departments responding.
The fire broke out around 10 a.m. in a 75-metre long barn on Bluff Road about halfway between Avonport and Hantsport.
Kirk Fredericks, chief of the nearby Wolfville Fire Department, said as of 12 p.m. there were still some spots on fire but the flames have been contained.
Fredericks said workers had put straw down, preparing for a new shipment of chickens.
“We suspect the process for laying straw for the chickens coming in next week [caused the fire],” he said.
No people or chickens were hurt in the fire. About six or seven fire departments from around Kings County responded to the fire.
- Alison Redford flights: opposition politicians want RCMP probe
- Azaria Marthyman, Ebola doctor, returns home to Victoria
- Jake Gardiner signs 5-year, $20.25M deal with Leafs: reports
- Lord Nelson, wheelchair-accessible tall ship, sails into Halifax
- Damian Warner wins Commonwealth Games decathlon
- Twitter stock up 30% as company doubles revenue
- Athabasca's Dover oilsands deal held up by Chinese corruption probe
- Craig Premack recounts being shot during Cache Creek bike race
- Shale gas protesters sentenced to 15 months for violent clash with RCMP
- Ebola outbreak: More than doctors needed to contain West Africa's unprecedented crisis
Hammer thrower Jim Steacy of Lethbridge, Alberta won the men's event
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:51, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 4Views: 463