Ottawa's English public elementary teachers strike today
Thousands of elementary school teachers with Ottawa's English public school board have begun walking the picket lines today, part of rotating strikes across Ontario.
Classes are cancelled for all elementary students at 117 schools in the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. There are about 4,500 teachers with the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board.
The one-day walkout and the other rotating strikes across the province are in protest of Bill 115.
Teachers will set up pickets at 63 of the Ottawa-area schools, as well as at the board offices and the offices of six area MPPs, including Premier Dalton McGuinty.
Schools are closed for the day, but principals and other staff will be inside the schools to assist in case children show up for school unaware of the walk-out.
- Gaza conflict: Fighting resumes as UN backs ceasefire calls
- Malaysia Airlines MH17 suffered massive decompression after shrapnel hit
- Paying off your mortgage faster can pay huge dividends
- Aviation safety by the numbers
- Addison Hall, 6, dies after car crashes into London, Ont., Costco
- Commonwealth Games: Day 5 from Glasgow
- Thérèse Casgrain, feminist icon, quietly shunted by Harper government
- Lightning kills 1, injures 13 around Los Angeles
- Volvo's new road-sensing safety features go the extra mile
- Ukraine crisis: On the front lines with a rebel dog
The United Nations Security Council has held an emergency meeting this morning to call for an immediate end to the hostilities in Gaza.
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 1:48, Views 0
Date 14-07-27 0:43
Tooltip Information:Two-time champion Jim Jim Furyk takes 3-shot lead at Canadian OpenVideo by:Description: Watch Furyk in action on Saturday.Rating: 4Views: 313