Green Party says MLA behaviour sets wrong example
The leader of the Green Party on Prince Edward Island says if government is serious about dealing with the issue of bullying then MLAs should take a look at their own behaviour.
Peter Bevan-Baker said the fierce partisanship and inability to compromise in the House sets a bad example for society in general.
“I would love to see our MLAs recognize the link between the behaviour that they exhibit here in the legislature and a small but not insignificant contribution that that might make to the incivility and the lack of respect that you see in society today,” he said.
Bevan-Baker said it would take just one MLA to stand up and show genuine agreement with someone on the other side of the house to set an example.
Bullying is a topic that is on the government agenda. On Friday, Education Minister Alan McIsaac said P.E.I. is looking at anti-bullying legislation in other provinces, as it prepares to introduce a law here.
Last week, Nova Scotia’s government announced new legislation to create Canada’s first cyberbullying investigative unit following the high-profile death of Rehtaeh Parsons.
- South Korea ferry captain may have delayed evacuation
- Amanda Todd case: RCMP announce 5 charges against Dutch citizen
- Matthew de Grood's father: 'Just like you, we struggle to understand what happened'
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid: 'I won't back down'
- South Korea ferry: The 'daunting task' of rescuing survivors
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel-winning author, dead at 87
- Mount Everest avalanche kills 6 Nepalese guides
- Vote on Kate's dresses from royal tour of Australia, New Zealand
- Portland empties 144 million-litre water reservoir after teen pees in it
- Canada to send 6 CF-18s for NATO operation in Eastern Europe
Sharks too strong for Kings in Game 1.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:26, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 18 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.75Views: 20678
Date 14-04-17 2:06
Tooltip Information:Student arrested in Heartbleed-related theftVideo by:Description: RCMP have arrested a 19-year-old London, Ont., man in connection with the theft of 900 social insurance numbersRating: 3.6Views: 12134