Health PEI tries to reduce ER wait to under 4 hours
Health PEI is spending $75,000 to commission a review of the Island's emergency room services in hopes of reducing wait times.
Dr. Richard Wedge, the health authority's acting CEO, said the goal is to bring wait times below the four-hour mark.
"We're looking at getting a profile of each of the emergency departments, what kind of acuity is going in there, how the staffing is, how the physician coverage is in terms of the number of hours, wait times, what efficiencies could be done to treat people quicker through an emergency department," he said.
Wedge said it's possible the review could recommend a reduction in services in some of the Island's four emergency rooms, but the plan is to have all four departments working as part of a single system.
Earlier this month Health PEI said it's also trying to schedule more operating room time for hip and knee replacements to improve patient flow so people get in and out of hospital more quickly.
In 2011-2012, only 46 per cent of Islanders waiting for new knees and 58 per cent requiring hip replacement had their surgery within 26 weeks — the national benchmarks for these procedures.
- Calgary stabbing victims identified
- 4 hurt in stabbings at Regina mall, youth in custody
- Nigel Wright won't face charges over $90K payment to Mike Duffy
- Matthew de Grood charged in Calgary's worst mass murder
- Toronto blackout: Full power restored, says Hydro One
- Matthew de Grood: Who is the Calgary stabbing suspect?
- Government document retrieving websites risky: business bureau
- Calgary stabbing: Students gather at University of Calgary to mourn victims
- Paul Walker’s brothers to help finish Fast and Furious 7 movie
- Syria torture photos stun UN Security Council
Oilers top Canadian team at No. 3.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 0:43, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13 hrs ago 7:08
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: 5 youths deadVideo by:Description: Neighbour Doug Jones interviewed after 3 declared dead at scene, 2 more later died in hospitalRating: 3.35Views: 28362
Date 5 hrs ago 1:57
Tooltip Information:Scam email touts big refunds from Canada Revenue AgencyVideo by:Description: Manitobans are being warned about a scam email claiming to be from Revenue Canada. CBC's Meagan Fiddler reports.Rating: 5Views: 327
Date 4 hrs ago 2:24
Tooltip Information:Victims of Calgary stabbingsVideo by:Description: We are learning more about some of the victims of Tuesday's mass stabbing in Calgary, Briar Stewart reportsRating: 4Views: 154