Man wants off-leash parks for Charlottetown's canines
A Charlottetown man is asking city hall to ease up on its leash laws and develop a policy to provide more freedom for the city's dogs.
The city's bylaw requires dogs to be on a leash anytime they're on city property, but Dan James wants to change that.
James argues the number of dog bites have dropped dramatically in cities with off-leash policies, including New York City.
"There would be areas in the city that would be designated. A lot of cities are doing different times of the day, so early in the morning and later in the evening in certain parks. So it's really a comprehensive strategy that talks a lot about public education, about dog safety, [and] the proper behaviour for dogs and owners," he said.
James said he wants to meet with the city's Parks and Recreation Department to talk about his idea.
There are two off-leash dog parks in Charlottetown, but neither is on city land.
- Lac-Mégantic train disaster: engineer's emergency calls released
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Bodies of victims flown to Kuala Lumpur
- James Foley killing: ISIS remains 'long-term threat,' Chuck Hagel says
- 1st-degree murder charges laid in Montague double homicide
- John Baird's Twitter account prompts scrutiny of language commissioner
- Harper rebuffs renewed calls for murdered, missing women inquiry
- Ebola treatment of Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol holds lessons for others
- Wikipedia's medical errors and one doctor's fight to correct them
- Hiker Julien Landry rescued days after fleeing up a tree to avoid bear
- Michael Brown shooting: Governor withdraws National Guard from Ferguson
Comedian winds up with a nice prize and gives to a kid.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:01, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 1 hr ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 4Views: 33
Date 2 hrs ago 6:14
Tooltip Information:Identifying the British-accented killer of James FoleyVideo by:Description: Interview with Ghaffar Hussain, a director of a counter-extremism think tankRating: 4Views: 148
Date 22 hrs ago 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.88Views: 18783