More long-term care beds coming to P.E.I.
Health PEI has issued a request-for-proposals looking for a private operator to provide 55 more long-term care beds in the province.
The RFP says 10 of the beds will be based in Summerside and the rest in Charlottetown. Half the beds are to be ready by this summer with the rest available in 2014.
"With the addition of this number of beds I think it'll go a long way to really serve to support not only seniors that are in need of long-term care beds, but obviously it'll provide a significant degree of support for our acute care hospitals," said Cecil Villard, executive director of long-term and home-based care for the province.
Many seniors waiting for a long-term care placement are in hospital beds for lack of anywhere else to go. Villard says once these new beds are operating, they should cut the waiting list for long-term care in half.
Capital costs for the beds would be assumed by the developer, with the province providing a subsidy for people who qualify.
- Turkey says 49 hostages seized by ISIS have been freed
- Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic
- Jean Chrétien gave U.K. government advice ahead of Scotland referendum
- First Nation girl refuses chemotherapy, may be forced back into treatment
- Hurricane Odile: WestJet offers final evacuation flight to Calgary
- Why chimps kill other chimps — U.S. study uncovers main reason
- After the Scotland referendum: What happens next
- Don Frigo shooting death: Canada-wide warrant issued for Boris Panovski
- Ukrainian peace talks lead to buffer zone deal
- White House evacuated after man jumps fence, rushes executive mansion
Dozens of Turkish hostages seized by Islamic State (IS) in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul in June have been released and arrived back in Turkey.
Date 38 mins ago, Duration 1:41, Views 0
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.66Views: 74096
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 3Views: 39109
Date 14-09-18 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.21Views: 8241
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 1Views: 681