Recycling begins in Regina but processing on hold
A new curbside recycling program begins in less than a week in Regina, even though the company that is supposed to sort the items is not ready.
Blue collection bins have been distributed to homes and pickups are set to start in the first week of July.
The items are then taken to a recycling station, for sorting.
However, for the first few months everything collected from the blue bins will sit in storage while the company Emterra finishes its processing facility.
"Emterra will begin processing the material in mid-September," Neil Vandenvort, an official with the City of Regina, said Tuesday. "The facility is ready to receive. It isn't ready to process."
According to the city, the facility was not completed due to delays in construction because of the long winter.
- James Foley the subject of failed U.S. rescue mission in Syria
- RCMP look into Calgary link with possible Islamic militants
- Justin Trudeau says he wants 170 Liberal MPs in the House
- Neanderthals, humans may have coexisted for thousands of years
- Beautiful aurora photos taken from space
- Billy Crystal tabbed to give Robin Williams tribute at Emmys
- Mohamed Yaffa accuses Air Canada of discrimination because he's Muslim
- Canadian ambassador Andrew Bennett says religious freedom 'violated' in China
- Michael Brown shooting: Eric Holder meets victim's family
- Quebec NDP MP Sana Hassainia defects over Mideast position
Dave Belisle gives great post-game speech after loss.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 3:34, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14 hrs ago 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.88Views: 17242
Date 13 hrs ago 2:04
Tooltip Information:Dinosaur egg excavation could yield rare fossilized babiesVideo by:Description: Paleontologists in Alberta say if a nest belonging to duck-billed dinosaurs is found, it would the first in CanadaRating: 5Views: 4127
Date 10 hrs ago 10:41
Tooltip Information:Ferguson looting victim speaksVideo by:Description: Jan Lalani owns a market with his father, established 20 years ago. It is the family's only source of incomeRating: 3.66Views: 1862