Recycling begins in Regina but processing on hold
A new curbside recycling program begins in less than a week in Regina, even though the company that is supposed to sort the items is not ready.
Blue collection bins have been distributed to homes and pickups are set to start in the first week of July.
The items are then taken to a recycling station, for sorting.
However, for the first few months everything collected from the blue bins will sit in storage while the company Emterra finishes its processing facility.
"Emterra will begin processing the material in mid-September," Neil Vandenvort, an official with the City of Regina, said Tuesday. "The facility is ready to receive. It isn't ready to process."
According to the city, the facility was not completed due to delays in construction because of the long winter.
- Ukraine crisis: Russia, Ukraine trade blame for deadly gun attack
- Mounties on medical, stress leave fear new dismissal process
- Calgary stabbings: Zackariah Rathwell's family breaks silence
- Pro-marijuana protesters hit Parliament Hill
- Queen Elizabeth releases grinning portrait for 88th birthday
- Why doesn't Easter have a fixed date?
- Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76
- Alistair MacLeod, acclaimed Canadian writer, dead at 77
- Ottawa toddler fights for his life after TV falls on him
- Bear gets head stuck in plastic jar in Greater Sudbury
Freelance reporter Megan Williams compares the style of Pope Francis with that of his predecessors
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 1:53, Views 69
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 8 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76Video by:Description: Former professional boxer and long-time advocate for the wrongly convicted died Sunday in TorontoRating: 3.75Views: 8943
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.1Views: 8468
Date 5 hrs ago 1:18
Tooltip Information:Toddler's grandma speaks after TV falls on boyVideo by:Description: Frances Barbe says her grandson was reaching while everyone else was asleep.Rating: 4Views: 493