Police have charged three people in connection with an Amber Alert issued for a pregnant Saskatchewan teenager who was believed to have been abducted from the Maple Creek area, located in the southwest corner of the province, Wednesday night.
When RCMP issued the Amber Alert Thursday morning they said the 14-year-old girl, who is about eight months pregnant, was forcibly removed from her home. A 16-year-old boy was identified as a possible suspect.
The Amber Alert ended Thursday night after the teens were brought to an RCMP detachment in Swift Current, Sask., by the boy's mother.
Earlier that day, the mother, 38, told CBC News the two were safe and that the whole thing was a misunderstanding.
On Friday police took her into custody and have charged her with abduction of a person under 16 years of age and obstruction of a peace officer.
She has been released until her first scheduled court appearance on Feb. 14.
CBC News cannot publish the name of the mother because of a court ordered publication ban on naming anyone that may result in identifying the youth involved.
The identity of all the teens involved is protected by the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
On Saturday the mother of the boy told CBC News she thinks it's very sad for everyone involved, and that the situation has escalated to this point.
"We maintain that there's been a lot of misunderstanding in this situation and we maintain that we felt we've been treated respectfully by the investigation team," she said.
She also added that she still loves the 14-year-old girl very much and that the girl remains dear to her heart.
"We know there's two sides to every story and until we're ready to tell our side of the story, and our children's side of the story, we would ask for privacy," she said.
The boy was taken into police custody Thursday evening and has been charged with:
- Abduction of a person under 16 years of age.
- Break and enter with the intent to commit mischief.
- Possession of a weapon dangerous to public and disguise with intent.
The teen will remain in custody until his scheduled court appearance on Jan. 14.
Another 16-year-old boy from the Maple Creek area was taken into custody Friday night and faces similar charges. He has been released until his court date on Feb. 14.
Police have not released any information on how the second 16-year-old boy was involved in the incident.
Get forecast by town or city
Possible matches are listed below. Please select a location from the list below or enter a new location in the text box above.