SUV strikes brick wall, severs gas main in Vaughan
A Monday night collision in Vaughan, Ont., pushed an SUV off the street and into a brick wall on Velmar Drive, causing a gas leak and prompting the evacuation of eight homes nearby.
"One vehicle was headed eastbound, another vehicle was headed westbound," said York Regional Police Acting Sergeant Adam Pyke.
The westbound vehicle turned south and collided with the SUV, which Pyke said then hit a brick wall "and severed a gas main."
The vehicle came to rest with its front wheels up in the air.
Paul Badwel was putting his grandchildren to bed when he heard a big bang outside. Moments later a neighbour came knocking to warn him of the danger.
"He said: 'You have to leave the home because there is a big gas leak,'" Badwel said during an interview on Monday night.
Crews remain at the home on Velmar Drive, near Rutherford Road and Saint Clare Boulevard.
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Crash cause coverup likely impossible
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: The Kremlin PR strategy
- Beef's environmental costs called exceptionally high
- Detroit bankruptcy: Retirees vote in favour of pension cuts
- Mike Duffy charged Senate to attend personal funerals, RCMP say
- Grizzly bear 'highway' uncovered in B.C. rainforest
- Virtuous Pedophiles group gives support therapy cannot
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect's friend convicted of impeding probe
- SkyTrain reopens after power outage
- Gaza conflict: Israeli military confirms soldier missing
Indonesia's next president faces challenges including cutting the country's controversial fuel subsidies.
Date 38 mins ago, Duration 1:03, Views 0
Date 14-07-20 2:52
Tooltip Information:21-year-old found dead at music festivalVideo by:Description: Homicide investigators say Regina resident Nick Phongsavath was found dead in his tent Friday.Rating: 3Views: 5957
Date 14-07-21 2:11
Tooltip Information:Eviction notice served to City of VancouverVideo by:Description: First Nation supporters of a homeless camp at Oppenheimer Park say the city can't evict themRating: 3.75Views: 7088