SUV strikes brick wall, severs gas main in Vaughan
A Monday night collision in Vaughan, Ont., pushed an SUV off the street and into a brick wall on Velmar Drive, causing a gas leak and prompting the evacuation of eight homes nearby.
"One vehicle was headed eastbound, another vehicle was headed westbound," said York Regional Police Acting Sergeant Adam Pyke.
The westbound vehicle turned south and collided with the SUV, which Pyke said then hit a brick wall "and severed a gas main."
The vehicle came to rest with its front wheels up in the air.
Paul Badwel was putting his grandchildren to bed when he heard a big bang outside. Moments later a neighbour came knocking to warn him of the danger.
"He said: 'You have to leave the home because there is a big gas leak,'" Badwel said during an interview on Monday night.
Crews remain at the home on Velmar Drive, near Rutherford Road and Saint Clare Boulevard.
- B.C. teachers' strike: parents scramble for daycare spaces
- Eugenie Bouchard succumbs to Makarova, heat at U.S. Open
- Jennifer Lawrence among celebrity victims in leak of nude photos
- Iraq PM pledges to root out ISIS militants
- Tomasz Gladkowski, 39, dies trying to rescue drowning son from Lake Huron
- Devin Scullion defies odds at 18 with aging disease progeria
- Collège de Saint-Ambroise in Jonquière bans homework for a year
- Finance Canada now sees middle-class families in rosy hue
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
- Ukraine crisis: Separatists soften stance on independence
B.C. Teachers' Federation president's one-on-one interview with CBC's Andrew Chang the eve before school is supposed to start
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 5:03, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 3:29
Tooltip Information:Protecting your personal informationVideo by:Description: Technology expert Graham Williams offers advice on how to protect information you store on your personal cloudRating: 4Views: 0
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.19Views: 105172
Date 1 hr ago 4:10
Tooltip Information:Ukraine's growing turmoilVideo by:Description: NATO says it needs to create a rapid reaction force to respond to Russian aggression against any of its members, as well as UkraineRating: 4Views: 0