Gillis:Luongo's big contract won't deter deal
VANCOUVER - Roberto Luongo's contract won't deter him from being traded, says Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis.
Luongo has 10 years remaining on a $64-million, 12-year contract.
Under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement between NHL owners and players, a team that trades a player away can still pay a portion of his salary.
But Gillis says he sees no reason why the Canucks would have to keep part of Luongo's salary in a trade given the goalie's all-star calibre.
Luongo, who was displaced by Cory Schneider as Vancouver's starter in last spring's Stanley Cup playoffs, has said he will waive his no-trade clause if asked.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have been rumoured as the team most likely to obtain Luongo.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
One man is dead and a teenage girl is in critical condition after separate overnight accidents Saturday.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:52, Views 26
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.2Views: 65230
Date 14-08-29 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 25445
Date 3 hrs ago 1:53
Tooltip Information:Teacher fired for giving zeros wins appealVideo by:Description: Appeal board rules Lynden Dorval was treated unfairly when he was suspended and fired for giving zeros to his studentsRating: 4Views: 0
Date 4 hrs ago 2:27
Tooltip Information:Gold rush on UK beachVideo by:Description: Treasure hunters are flocking to a beach in Britain to search for 30 bars of 24 karat gold buried under the sand as part of an art projectRating: 4Views: 157