Tree falls on ski lift in Sochi, 75 evacuated
MOSCOW - A fallen tree has shut down a ski lift in a Sochi resort that will carry skiers taking part in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Russian emergency services say no one was hurt and 75 people were safely evacuated from the cable cars at the Rosa Khutor resort.
The emergency services say the ski lift was shut down at 5:30 p.m. local time Sunday and it took rescuers nearly two hours to evacuate all 75 stranded passengers.
Rosa Khutor is set to host several Olympic test events in the coming weeks.
- Jaime Palm death: 'We'll never forget her and how amazing she was'
- Burlington Skyway crash: Driver to be charged with impaired driving
- Vancouver Aquarium whale, dolphin breeding program to end
- B.C. chief Ron Giesbrecht's $1M pay 'very troubling,' minister's office says
- Israel, Hamas agree to 72-hour ceasefire in Gaza
- Daniel Markel shooting: Investigators release 911 call
- Temporary foreign worker agency Actyl Group sues McDonald's Canada
- Rogers wireless roaming rates discriminatory, CRTC says
- B.C. teachers' strike: parents to get $40 a day if strike continues
- 'Mr. Big' sting confessions get stricter rules from Supreme Court
Argentina blames the US for the legal battle that forced it to miss a debt payment and be declared in "selective" and "restrictive" default by ratings ... More Argentina blames the US for the legal battle that forced it to miss a debt payment and be declared in "selective" and "restrictive" default by ratings agencies. Experts warn a lengthy standoff would deepen economic troubles. Duration: 02:04
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 2:04, Views 63
Video by: AFP
Date 7 hrs ago 4:54
Tooltip Information:Danielle Lappage wrestles for Canadian goldVideo by:Description: Danielle Lappage defeats India's Geetika Jakhar in the women`s 63kg category final.Rating: 4Views: 350
Date 9 hrs ago 2:26
Tooltip Information:George Kobaladze wins weightlifting gold for CanadaVideo by:Description: On his final clean and jerk attempt, Kobaladze sets a Commonwealth record by lifting 229 kg, for a combined total of 400 kg.Rating: 5Views: 1239