Tree falls on ski lift in Sochi, 75 evacuated
MOSCOW - A fallen tree has shut down a ski lift in a Sochi resort that will carry skiers taking part in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Russian emergency services say no one was hurt and 75 people were safely evacuated from the cable cars at the Rosa Khutor resort.
The emergency services say the ski lift was shut down at 5:30 p.m. local time Sunday and it took rescuers nearly two hours to evacuate all 75 stranded passengers.
Rosa Khutor is set to host several Olympic test events in the coming weeks.
- Malaysia Airlines jet search turns up nothing but ocean trash
- George Stroumboulopoulos to host Hockey Night in Canada next season
- Autistic son 'prisoner' in Ottawa hospital
- South Korean trade deal sets up fight between auto, agriculture sectors
- New Boston Marathon security plans released
- Why bitcoin isn't dead yet
- HIV 'cure' for babies tested in Canada
- MP Laurie Hawn announces he's leaving federal politics
- Lev Tahor case: 7 children taken by child services in Ontario
- Sochi Paralympics confronts Russia's attitude towards disabled
David Cameron and Angela Merkel attend the opening of Germany's Information technology fair in Hanover. Duration: 01:04
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:03, Views 5
Video by: AFP