1 dead in avalanche west of Golden, B.C.
CBC News has confirmed one person is dead after an avalanche Friday near the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort just a short distance from Golden, B.C.
According to bulletins posted on the Canadian Avalanche Centre's website, the danger rating for alpine conditions in the Purcells is currently listed as considerable.
Conditions for treeline areas are listed as moderate.
The CAC says the combination of new snow and strong westerly winds have created dense wind slabs in exposed lee terrain and cross-loaded features.
Particularly in steep, unsupported terrain, rider triggering is a possibility, and any avalanche in the area would be expected to range in size from small to large.
It's not clear at this point how many other people may have been involved in the avalanche or exactly where it took place.
- Scotland referendum: 'No' has clear lead as half of regions report
- Escape from Los Cabos: Some Canadians return, some stuck in hurricane zone
- Congress approves U.S. support for Syrian rebels fighting against ISIS
- 'Angelina Jolie effect' on breast cancer screening endures
- Florida shooting claims 8 lives, including 6 children
- Serena Vermeersch, 17, killed in apparent random attack
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Home Depot admits 56 million cards hit by security breach
- Ailing Rob Ford thanks supporters, endorses brother's mayoral bid
- Cat escapes from burning, collapsing Manitoba hotel
Challenges have arisen with some data missing after Ottawa bus-train crash.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 4:48, Views 23
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.22Views: 35128
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.61Views: 29849