2 Nigerian students get deported after year in hiding
Two Nigerian students living in Regina who've been in trouble with immigration authorities are being deported today, CBC News has learned.
Victoria Ordu and Favour Amadi took refuge in a church after learning they would be forced to leave the country. The University of Regina students have been in hiding for more than a year, getting by with the help of friends.
The pair says their trouble stems from a few weeks in 2011 when they worked at a Regina Wal-Mart, not knowing it was not permitted under the terms of their student visas.
The university said it supported the two. The case drew the attention of Liberal MP Ralph Goodale, who said the women should be allowed to stay.
On Friday, CBC News learned the students have been escorted out of Saskatchewan.
They're being flown to Toronto and are scheduled to be put on a plane to Nigeria tonight.
Immigration officials were not immediately available for comment.
More to come
- Firefighters injured battling Mississauga industrial warehouse blaze
- Ron MacLean in hotseat over comment about Quebec refs
- Calgary stabbing victim Lawrence Hong to be remembered
- Google Street View lets you go back in time
- Lisa Raitt to enhance rail safety measures in wake of Lac-Mégantic
- The Koch brothers: Who are they and why do Democrats hate them?
- Everest avalanche: How a Sherpa strike will affect Nepal's tourist industry
- Travel insurance and extreme sports: How Canadians can protect themselves
- 'Fairies' billboard backfires for St. John's opera company
- Netflix set to 'grow like crazy' despite price increase
Tampa Bay were swept out of the first round of playoffs by Montreal
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:58, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:08
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator Ron MacLean found himself in hot water Tuesday night after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff games.Rating: 4Views: 1004
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.01Views: 41053
Date 2 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 4Views: 0