A visit to Nelson Mandela's prison on Robben Island
AP Photo/Schalk van Zuydam
A outside view of the cell, right, were former South African president Nelson Mandela was locked up by the former apartheid government on Robben Island, South Africa, Friday, July 17, 2009. Mandela will celebrate his 91st birthday on Saturday. (AP Photo/Schalk van Zuydam) The Associated Press
In his tribute to Nelson Mandela, U.S. President Barack Obama said it takes "a man like Madiba not just to free the prisoner but the jailer as well."
Mandela met those jailers on Robben Island, a boat ride from Cape Town, where he spent 18 of his 27 years in captivity.
The CBC's senior correspondent Adrienne Arsenault visited Robben Island, where she met former prisoners who now guide tourists around the grim facility.
Arsenault's story paints a vivid picture of the prison's harsh conditions and how its most famous inmate managed to persevere.
- B.C. teachers' strike: No school year start Tuesday
- Joan Rivers: Family remains hopeful for star's recovery
- Louisiana’s new restrictive abortion law won't be enforced yet, judge rules
- ISIS threat: Germany to send rifles and tanks to aid Kurds in Iraq
- Health Canada pulling last of citronella-based bug sprays
- China rejects open nominations for Hong Kong leadership
- Israel calls on region to rebuild, disarm Gaza
- Bolivian bus crash kills 10, injures 1 Canadian
- NATO pushes for bigger crisis response brigade
- Senegal Ebola case 'a top priority emergency,' WHO says
Fears are mounting in Bangkok that poor planning and lax law enforcement are tipping Thailand towards a waste crisis. Duration: 01:21
Date 41 mins ago, Duration 1:20, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 4 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:Zaccheus Jackson, 36, dies in train accidentVideo by:Description: Community mourns much-loved and admired Vancouver poet and spoken word artistRating: 4Views: 12
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 101846