Afghan girl, 10, says brother put her up to suicide bombing
A 10-year-old Afghan girl has told local media that her brother strapped a vest of explosives to her chest and told her to attack border guards in Kunar province in southern Afghanistan but she did not carry out the attack. Erik De Castro/Reuters
A 10-year-old Afghan girl implicated in a failed attack against Afghan border police has told police her brother wrapped an explosive suicide vest on her and told her to approach a police checkpoint in southern Afghanistan.
The girl, who identified herself only as Spozhmai, says in comments broadcast Tuesday that her brother told her to "ask the deputy commander for a ride with him to Kunar province. I agreed. Then he attached the vest on my body and told me to spend the night here and leave in the morning."
But she says she refused to carry out the attack the next day.
The girl spoke to television cameras after police detained her on Monday. She says her brother promised the police would die but she would live.
- Suicide bomber kills 4 foreign guards in Kabul
- 4 foreign troops killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan
- At least 21 dead in Iraq checkpoint car bombing
- Afghan bombs kill more than 90 people in 2 attacks
- Afghan bombs kill 40 people in 2 attacks
- 89 killed in worst Afghanistan bombing since 2001
- 4 Czech ISAF troops killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan
- Afghans express relief at election deal
- 10 killed in roadside bombings in Afghanistan
- Former Afghan interpretors graduate in Toronto
The leader of Pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine, Alexander Borodai, has admitted contacts with Russian security services.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 7:18, Views 0
Date 4 hrs ago 1:29
Tooltip Information:Susan Boyle has slight stumble with Mull of KintyreVideo by:Description: Singer seems to forget the opening line to the song then recovers to finish strong.Rating: 4Views: 124