Alice Munro too ill to attend Nobel ceremony
Alice Munro, 82, won the Nobel prize for literature earlier this month but won't be travelling to Stockholm to accept her prize because she is too ill. It's unclear who will accept the prize on her behalf. Paul Hawthorne/Associated Press
The Swedish Academy says Canadian Nobel literature prize winner Alice Munro won't travel to Stockholm to collect her award because of poor health.
Academy secretary Peter Englund said in an email Friday that the 82-year-old writer had declined the invitation, and that it's not yet clear who will represent her at the Dec. 10 award ceremony.
The academy announced last week that Munro had won the $1.2 million US prize for this year and called her a "master of the contemporary short story."
Munro has published more than a dozen collections of short stories since the 1960s, often focusing on the lives of girls and women from the towns and farming communities in her home region of southwestern Ontario.
- South Korea ferry captain may have delayed evacuation
- Amanda Todd case: RCMP announce 5 charges against Dutch citizen
- Matthew de Grood's father: 'Just like you, we struggle to understand what happened'
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid: 'I won't back down'
- South Korea ferry: The 'daunting task' of rescuing survivors
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel-winning author, dead at 87
- Mount Everest avalanche kills 6 Nepalese guides
- Vote on Kate's dresses from royal tour of Australia, New Zealand
- Portland empties 144 million-litre water reservoir after teen pees in it
- Canada to send 6 CF-18s for NATO operation in Eastern Europe
Sharks too strong for Kings in Game 1.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:26, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 18 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.75Views: 20678
Date 14-04-17 2:06
Tooltip Information:Student arrested in Heartbleed-related theftVideo by:Description: RCMP have arrested a 19-year-old London, Ont., man in connection with the theft of 900 social insurance numbersRating: 3.6Views: 12134