Alice Munro too ill to attend Nobel ceremony
Alice Munro, 82, won the Nobel prize for literature earlier this month but won't be travelling to Stockholm to accept her prize because she is too ill. It's unclear who will accept the prize on her behalf. Paul Hawthorne/Associated Press
The Swedish Academy says Canadian Nobel literature prize winner Alice Munro won't travel to Stockholm to collect her award because of poor health.
Academy secretary Peter Englund said in an email Friday that the 82-year-old writer had declined the invitation, and that it's not yet clear who will represent her at the Dec. 10 award ceremony.
The academy announced last week that Munro had won the $1.2 million US prize for this year and called her a "master of the contemporary short story."
Munro has published more than a dozen collections of short stories since the 1960s, often focusing on the lives of girls and women from the towns and farming communities in her home region of southwestern Ontario.
- Ebola outbreak: Sierra Leone lockdown not extended
- UN Climate Summit: Thousands march worldwide ahead of meeting
- Wind, rainfall warnings blanket Atlantic coastline
- BC Ferries fare hikes forcing some to rethink island work, life
- How a Winnipeg lab became an Ebola research powerhouse
- Importing air pollution from China
- Pennsylvania multi-car crash leaves 4 children, 1 adult dead
- Calgary cougar shooting to get full review, justice minister says
- Linda Griffiths, actor and playwright, dead after battle with cancer
- Battle for your breakfast buck: Fast food attacks cereal's supremacy
Yemeni Prime Minister Mohammed Basindwa resigns amid reports that rebels have taken control of the government headquarters.
Date 44 mins ago, Duration 1:19, Views 0
Date 4 hrs ago 4:21
Tooltip Information:World climate change ralliesVideo by:Description: CBC's Paul Hunter reports from NYC, where organizers say at least 100,000 people are taking part in a march through ManhattanRating: 4Views: 151
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.72Views: 92487
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 3Views: 9542