Alice Munro too ill to attend Nobel ceremony
Alice Munro, 82, won the Nobel prize for literature earlier this month but won't be travelling to Stockholm to accept her prize because she is too ill. It's unclear who will accept the prize on her behalf. Paul Hawthorne/Associated Press
The Swedish Academy says Canadian Nobel literature prize winner Alice Munro won't travel to Stockholm to collect her award because of poor health.
Academy secretary Peter Englund said in an email Friday that the 82-year-old writer had declined the invitation, and that it's not yet clear who will represent her at the Dec. 10 award ceremony.
The academy announced last week that Munro had won the $1.2 million US prize for this year and called her a "master of the contemporary short story."
Munro has published more than a dozen collections of short stories since the 1960s, often focusing on the lives of girls and women from the towns and farming communities in her home region of southwestern Ontario.
- Alice Munro proving a popular Nobel laureate
- Nobel Prize gala honours Alice Munro, literature winner
- Munro 'so proud' to see daughter accept Nobel
- Alice Munro proud of Nobel Prize in literature win
- Remarks at Alice Munro's Nobel Prize ceremony
- Alice Munro's daughter accepts Nobel Prize in literature
- Short story collections by Nobel winner Munro
- Weapons watchdog receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Your guide to the 2013 Nobel Prizes
- Rural roots let Munro grow writing gift
CFIB’s Dan Kelly says small businesses will be hurt by postal changes
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 5:01, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 12 hrs ago 3:34
Tooltip Information:Sign language interpreter a 'fake'?Video by:Description: Head of South Africa's deaf federation says 'no meaning' to hand gestures of man next to world leadersRating: 3.83Views: 14217
Date 13-12-10 0:30
Tooltip Information:Obama shakes Castro's handVideo by:Description: U.S. President Barack Obama shakes hands with Cuban President Raul Castro during the memorial service for Nelson MandelaRating: 3.45Views: 38301