American sentenced 80 years for killing 2 Canadians
An American woman has been handed an 80-year prison sentence for killing a Canadian mother and her daughter near Atlantic City.
U.S. media reports say a New Jersey superior court judge handed Antoinette Pelzer two consecutive 40 year sentences.
Pelzer had pleaded guilty in August to killing 80-year-old Po Lin Wan and her 47-year-old daughter Alice Mei See Leung in May 2012.
Surveillance video played for the court showed Pelzer running up stabbing the younger woman and then her mother when she tried to help.
According to a psychiatrist's report, Pelzer has denied robbery was a motive, but has not said why she stabbed the two Toronto women.
Court heard Pelzer was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at age 24 and was not on her medication at the time of the killings.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Pelzer apologized to the victims' family and told the court she was "real sick back then."
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was well off-course, military says
- Pauline Marois says independent Quebec would have no borders or tolls
- Average student debt difficult to pay off, delays life milestones
- Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan: a video timeline
- UFO sightings soar to new heights in Canada
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- Climate likely fuelled Genghis Khan's conquests
- Cyberbullying in university on the rise, study says
- More snow ahead for southern Ontario tomorrow
- CBSA appeals ruling over shift change request for mother
MLA Nicholas Simons says cuts could cost Powell River its team
Date 49 mins ago, Duration 4:38, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 3:11
Tooltip Information:Barack Obama spars with Zach Galifianakis over health careVideo by:Description: U.S. president gets the 'Between Two Ferns' treatmentRating: 4Views: 62394
Date 14 hrs ago 1:02
Tooltip Information:NBA: Toronto 97 at Brooklyn 101Video by:Description: Deron Williams and Shaun Livingston each scored 18 points and an ailing Pierce hit a key late 3-pointer to lead the Brooklyn Nets to a 101-97 victory over the Atlantic Division-leading Toronto Raptors.Rating: 2.5Views: 896735
Date 3 hrs ago 4:05
Tooltip Information:'Fooling Malaysian authorities not a steep hill to climb'Video by:Description: CBC interview with former RCMP investigator and crime and risk consultant Chris MathersRating: 4Views: 293863
Date 3 hrs ago 18:21
Tooltip Information:Cross-Border coalition on rail safetyVideo by:Description: News conference with Lac Megantic Mayor Colette Roy-Laroche, Magog Mayor Vicki May Hamm, and Barrington, Ill., Mayor Karen DarchRating: 4Views: 418758