Ariel Castro's guards skipped checks in hours before suicide
Ariel Castro. Tony Dejak/Associated Press
Ohio officials say two prison guards falsified logs documenting their observation of Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro in the hours before he killed himself.
A report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction says video indicates no checks were done on Castro at least eight times the afternoon and evening before he died.
- Major events in the Ohio missing women's case
The report released Thursday says checks were done properly twice before Castro hanged himself on Sept. 3 at a prison reception centre south of Columbus.
The report also says an ambulance contracted to provide medical assistance at the prison was significantly late in arriving, but the delay didn't affect the outcome.
The report also says prison staff failed to make sure Castro watched a suicide prevention video when he first arrived in August.
- Calgary stabbings: victims' families come together to heal
- Air Canada apologizes for luggage toss caught on video
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspect accused of threatening girl's father
- Masai Ujiri, Raptors GM, could pay price for f-bomb
- MERS virus outbreak raising SARS-like concern
- Mount Everest avalanche highlights risk Sherpas face
- Rob Ford’s 'cranes in the sky' line examined by economists
- 4 new species of 'killer' sponges discovered off Pacific coast
- Woman dies after dad hits her trying to park near Ottawa hospital
- Looking for First Nations love: Indigenous dating life 'complex'
Search teams recovered 13th body on Saturday, but 3 Sherpa guides are still missing in the deadliest disaster to ever happen on the mountain
Date 58 mins ago, Duration 2:24, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 3:13
Tooltip Information:Ferry captain tries to explain tragedyVideo by:Description: Lee Joon-seok says he couldn't give order to evacuate ship because he feared people would have been swept out to sea; divers still searching for up to 270 missing peopleRating: 4Views: 0
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.2Views: 3096