Ariel Castro's guards skipped checks in hours before suicide
Ariel Castro. Tony Dejak/Associated Press
Ohio officials say two prison guards falsified logs documenting their observation of Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro in the hours before he killed himself.
A report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction says video indicates no checks were done on Castro at least eight times the afternoon and evening before he died.
- Major events in the Ohio missing women's case
The report released Thursday says checks were done properly twice before Castro hanged himself on Sept. 3 at a prison reception centre south of Columbus.
The report also says an ambulance contracted to provide medical assistance at the prison was significantly late in arriving, but the delay didn't affect the outcome.
The report also says prison staff failed to make sure Castro watched a suicide prevention video when he first arrived in August.
- Contract for new prison site, design coming this week: King
- Parkin Architects to draw up replacement for HMP
- New Mexico selling tickets for 'Old Main' tours
- Look beyond St. John's for prison: Harbour Grace councillor
- Parkin Architects gets contract for design, home of new prison
- HMP 'altercation' under police investigation
- Dad who fell on baby girl gets 5-year prison sentence
Mike Richards scored the game winner on a Winnipeg Jets' giveaway to lift the Los Angeles Kings to a 3-1 win Thursday night.
Date 56 mins ago, Duration 1:02, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 10 hrs ago 3:20
Tooltip Information:Toddler suspended over cheese sandwichVideo by:Description: An Ottawa daycare suspends a 2-year-old girl for violating its 'no outside food' policyRating: 3.96Views: 28623
Date 23 hrs ago 2:19
Tooltip Information:Bald is beautifulVideo by:Description: New Brunswick breast cancer sufferer Michelle James's online photo campaign urges everyone to embrace their inner baldness.Rating: 4.15Views: 11592