Ariel Castro's guards skipped checks in hours before suicide
Ariel Castro. Tony Dejak/Associated Press
Ohio officials say two prison guards falsified logs documenting their observation of Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro in the hours before he killed himself.
A report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction says video indicates no checks were done on Castro at least eight times the afternoon and evening before he died.
- Major events in the Ohio missing women's case
The report released Thursday says checks were done properly twice before Castro hanged himself on Sept. 3 at a prison reception centre south of Columbus.
The report also says an ambulance contracted to provide medical assistance at the prison was significantly late in arriving, but the delay didn't affect the outcome.
The report also says prison staff failed to make sure Castro watched a suicide prevention video when he first arrived in August.
- Derailed CN freight car hits Via Rail train near Gananoque
- Tory MP Eve Adams quits bitter nomination race, cites health
- Legendary Ojibwa sniper unsung hero of WW I
- Obama calls for release of Hadar Goldin, captured Israeli soldier
- 'Doug Ford is lying,' Toronto police chief says, threatening lawsuit
- Burlington Skyway closed all weekend as engineers assess damage
- Chief's $1M pay 'not reasonable,' Bernard Valcourt says
- Polar bear wins tug of war with Nunavut man over beluga
- Yvon Lambert appeals to public after losing 1976 Stanley Cup ring
- Huge waves detected in Arctic waters for 1st time
Indiana Pacers forward suffers gruesome injury during Team USA scrimmage.
Date 46 mins ago, Duration 0:49, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 1 hr ago 0:49
Tooltip Information:Pacers' Paul George suffers gruesome serious leg injuryVideo by:Description: Indiana Pacers forward suffers gruesome injury during Team USA scrimmage.Rating: 4Views: 0