Ariel Castro's guards skipped checks in hours before suicide
Ariel Castro. Tony Dejak/Associated Press
Ohio officials say two prison guards falsified logs documenting their observation of Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro in the hours before he killed himself.
A report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction says video indicates no checks were done on Castro at least eight times the afternoon and evening before he died.
- Major events in the Ohio missing women's case
The report released Thursday says checks were done properly twice before Castro hanged himself on Sept. 3 at a prison reception centre south of Columbus.
The report also says an ambulance contracted to provide medical assistance at the prison was significantly late in arriving, but the delay didn't affect the outcome.
The report also says prison staff failed to make sure Castro watched a suicide prevention video when he first arrived in August.
- Storm hits Central, Atlantic Canada on busy travel weekend
- Supreme Court prostitution ruling forces issue on Harper
- CSIS slammed for end-running law to snoop on Canadians abroad
- Winter solstice: celebrating the shortest day of the year
- Syria’s civil war spawns deadly barrel bombs, other DIY weapons
- Medical marijuana users concerned over prices as Canada's market expands
- NASA astronauts finish spacewalk after repairs
- Avalanche victim identified as 29-year-old Alberta man
- The trials and triumphs of church clergy at Christmas
- Winning Lotto Max ticket sold in Edmonton
Kelowna native Kelsey Serwa finished second and confirm a spot on Team Canada headed to Sochi.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 3:42, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 2:04
Tooltip Information:RAW: Abbotsford homeless crisis continuesVideo by:Description: Pastor Ward Draper says some campers forced out of park will move to another siteRating: 4Views: 4238
Date 5 hrs ago 1:57
Tooltip Information:Hockey Night Opening Tease: Dec 21Video by:Description: A musical montage set to "Carol of the Bells" by the Tenor Bass Choir from Saint Michael’s Choir School in Toronto.Rating: 4Views: 14860
Date 9 hrs ago 5:06
Tooltip Information:UN helicopter attacked in South SudanVideo by:Description: American soldier in critical condition, chopper retreats to Uganda. Canadians advised to leave areaRating: 4.5Views: 18222