Barrick Gold reports $8.5B US loss
Barrick Gold Corp. is reporting a $8.56 billion US loss and lowering its quarterly dividend in the wake of lower prices for bullion and copper.
The Toronto-based company is recognizing an $8.7-billion US impairment in the second quarter, mainly due to lower metal prices.
As a result, Barrick will reduce its quarterly dividend to five cents US per share.
It has also moved to reduce operating costs through staff reductions and capital spending.
Barrick is one of the world's largest gold producers, so it has been badly affected by the major drop in the price of gold this year.
It has also been suffering from troubles in constructing a major new mine in South America, which faces delays for environmental reasons.
- Alison Redford flights: opposition politicians want RCMP probe
- Commonwealth Games: Day 6 from Glasgow
- Azaria Marthyman, Ebola doctor, returns home to Victoria
- Athabasca's Dover oilsands deal held up by Chinese corruption probe
- Craig Premack recounts being shot during Cache Creek bike race
- Ebola outbreak: More than doctors needed to contain West Africa's unprecedented crisis
- Aviation authorities want better risk assessment over conflict zones
- Rob Ford in shouting match ahead of mayoral debate
- David Huynh ID'd as man who fell to his death from Stanley Park's Prospect Point
- Barack Obama to address Ukraine crisis at news conference
The NCAA will create a $70 million fund to diagnose thousands of current and former college athletes
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:04, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 4Views: 463