Battle over citizenship oath to the Queen to be heard in appeal court
Three permanent residents opposed to taking an oath to the Queen as a condition of Canadian citizenship are taking their battle to Ontario's top court today.
They argue the requirement is discriminatory and violates their constitutional rights and should be struck down.
The three oppose the oath on religious or conscientious grounds, saying it should be optional or that pledging allegiance to Canada should be enough.
A lower court judge, however, disagreed, saying any charter violation can be justified in a democratic society.
Ottawa argues the oath has been around for ages, nothing forces permanent residents to become citizens, and nothing precludes them from opposing the monarchy.
The government has already made it clear it will take the case to the Supreme Court of Canada if it loses before the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Oath to the Queen upheld by Ontario Court of Appeal
- Ontario's top court upholds oath ruling
- SCOC won't hear from Quebec construction boss
- Unfairly convicted man can sue police, Crown
- Court grants oral hearing to bong shop owner
- Ottawa sued over compliance with U.S. law
- Tony Accurso bid dismissed by Supreme Court
- Virginia Hillis, Gwendolyn Deegan sue Ottawa over new FATCA tax rules
- Romeo Phillion can sue police, Crown for quashed conviction
- Lawsuit against Bell over expiry of prepaid plans gets green light
Jennifer Kirby tops Canadians at 5-under.
Date 52 mins ago, Duration 2:13, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 2.53Views: 24495
Date 12 hrs ago 4:55
Tooltip Information:Montague double homicide arrestVideo by:Description: RCMP announce in a news conference they have made an arrest in a double homicide in eastern P.E.I.Rating: 4.25Views: 4491
Date 6 hrs ago 6:14
Tooltip Information:Identifying the British-accented killer of James FoleyVideo by:Description: Interview with Ghaffar Hussain, a director of a counter-extremism think tankRating: 4Views: 3271
Date 14-08-20 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.84Views: 24592