Brendan Maguire’s surprising journey to provincial politics
Nova Scotia MLA Brendan Maguire. CBC
Brendan Maguire, the newly minted Liberal Halifax Atlantic MLA, has taken an unusual path to provincial politics.
Raised by abusive alcoholic parents and abandoned on a shopping centre bench as a child, Maguire was recently elected to the Nova Scotia legislature in a riding known for high unemployment and crime.
Now a politician with an unlikely past, Maguire says he aims to reach out to those battling their own demons and help them find a different path.
Watch the video above to learn more about Maguire’s journey from the CBC’s Stephen Puddicombe.
- Veterans groups say Ottawa spending too much remembering old wars
- Saint Mary's University frosh chant: SMU changes to start of school
- 'Heavy' pot smoker wins trafficking-related case on personal use defence
- Cougar killed after attack on teen hiker in Waterton Park
- Missing women inquiry tops agenda for premiers, aboriginal leaders
- N.L. fossil shows earliest evidence ever of animals with muscles
- Arizona gun instructor dead after 9-year-old accidentally shoots him
- Tories tout 'traditional family values' in message to party members
- Ukraine crisis: Government-held town hit by rebel shells
- Ebola outbreak: Canadians pulled from Sierra Leone as precaution
Opera Lyra fired one of its singers who insulted a man's nails on Facebook.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:43, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.13Views: 87095
Date 14-08-26 1:24
Tooltip Information:Fatal shooting outside nightclubVideo by:Description: A woman died and a man was sent to hospital after an early morning shooting on Wellington Street.Rating: 2.76Views: 6683