Brendan Maguire’s surprising journey to provincial politics
Nova Scotia MLA Brendan Maguire. CBC
Brendan Maguire, the newly minted Liberal Halifax Atlantic MLA, has taken an unusual path to provincial politics.
Raised by abusive alcoholic parents and abandoned on a shopping centre bench as a child, Maguire was recently elected to the Nova Scotia legislature in a riding known for high unemployment and crime.
Now a politician with an unlikely past, Maguire says he aims to reach out to those battling their own demons and help them find a different path.
Watch the video above to learn more about Maguire’s journey from the CBC’s Stephen Puddicombe.
- NATO leaders' focus could be split between ISIS and Russia
- Nude celebrity photo leak casts iCloud over Apple launch
- Polar bears: Endangered species or political pawn?
- Steven Sotloff beheading shown in video, ISIS claims
- Donovan Adams arrested in sex attack on 9-year-old Surrey girl
- Justin Bieber faces assault, dangerous driving charges in Ontario
- Polar vortex chills linked to melting sea ice
- Fred Brumwell wanted a Google job so badly, he rented a billboard
- Omar Khadr reattempts to sue Canada for $20M
- Burning wood indoors to cook raises health risks for billions
Toronto Blue Jays beat the Tampa Bay Rays 8-2
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:22, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 2:25
Tooltip Information:Journalist executed by ISIS: reportsVideo by:Description: ISIS has released a video showing what appears to be the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven SotloffRating: 4Views: 0