British doctor dies in Syrian prison, report says
Orthopedic surgeon Abbas Khan, shown with his son, went missing in Syria after travelling to Aleppo. Khan family
A British orthopedic surgeon who went to Aleppo, Syria, to help civilians has died in prison, the BBC reports this morning.
Dr. Abbas Khan, 32, of the South London suburb of Streatham, had been in custody for more than a year, the BBC said, citing his family.
Khan's brother Afroze told the broadcaster that the Syrian security agency had promised to release the doctor this week.
On Monday, however, Khan's mother, who was in Damascus, was informed her son had died, the BBC said.
- Andre Poulin: dead Canadian jihadist used in ISIS recruitment video
- Ahmad Waseem, jihadi in Syria, ignored family's pleas to stay in Canada
- Mortar shells hit northern Syrian city, killing 14
- Sunni jihadi group expels rivals from Syrian city
- US sanctions 3 firms for aiding Syrian government
- Syria's Bashar al-Assad sworn in for new presidency term
- Europe takes rehab approach to Islamic extremists
- The life of a jihadi wife: Why one Canadian woman joined ISIS's Islamic state
- Assad declares victory, push to topple him tenuous
- Syria crisis: UN to vote on humanitarian aid for rebel-held areas
The ratcatcher of Peshawar is unpaid but committed to doing his bit to rid the Pakistani city of its infestation of disease-carrying rodents. Duration:... More The ratcatcher of Peshawar is unpaid but committed to doing his bit to rid the Pakistani city of its infestation of disease-carrying rodents. Duration: 02:14
Date 21 mins ago, Duration 2:13, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 6 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 3Views: 3829
Date 4 hrs ago 17:38
Tooltip Information:Canada's Ryan Cochrane swims to 2nd Commonwealth goldVideo by:Description: Win the men's 1,500-metre freestyle with a time of 14 minutes 44.03 seconds.Rating: 4Views: 65