British doctor dies in Syrian prison, report says
Orthopedic surgeon Abbas Khan, shown with his son, went missing in Syria after travelling to Aleppo. Khan family
A British orthopedic surgeon who went to Aleppo, Syria, to help civilians has died in prison, the BBC reports this morning.
Dr. Abbas Khan, 32, of the South London suburb of Streatham, had been in custody for more than a year, the BBC said, citing his family.
Khan's brother Afroze told the broadcaster that the Syrian security agency had promised to release the doctor this week.
On Monday, however, Khan's mother, who was in Damascus, was informed her son had died, the BBC said.
- Calgary stabbing victim Zackariah Rathwell remembered
- Mount Everest avalanche: Sherpas hold walkout at base camp
- South Korea ferry: Identified deaths climb to 146
- Malaysia Airlines MH370: Australia to deploy powerful sonar in search
- B.C. car dealers may be violating drivers' privacy, claims whistleblower
- Travel insurance and extreme sports: How Canadians can protect themselves
- Support pours in for Weyburn, Sask., waitresses who lost jobs
- Canadiens win Game 4, sweep Lightning
- Raptors push back to beat Nets in Game 2
- New York Times says Canada's middle class richer than U.S.
Egypt's next president will have to contend with frustrated workers who have threatened a new wave of nationwide strikes if their demands are not met b... More Egypt's next president will have to contend with frustrated workers who have threatened a new wave of nationwide strikes if their demands are not met by an already cash-strapped government. Duration:02:33
Date 59 mins ago, Duration 2:32, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 21 hrs ago 1:41
Tooltip Information:Gardens sex abuser back in court to face 108 chargesVideo by:Description: Gordon Stuckless will plead guilty to 103 of the new charges dating back several decades: lawyerRating: 3.35Views: 12990
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.01Views: 39978
Date 8 hrs ago 3:17
Tooltip Information:B.C. car dealers may be violating drivers' privacy, claims whistleblowerVideo by:Description: A whistleblower in the auto sales industry says car dealers may be violating customers' privacy rights when they scan licences.Rating: 4Views: 490