British doctor dies in Syrian prison, report says
Orthopedic surgeon Abbas Khan, shown with his son, went missing in Syria after travelling to Aleppo. Khan family
A British orthopedic surgeon who went to Aleppo, Syria, to help civilians has died in prison, the BBC reports this morning.
Dr. Abbas Khan, 32, of the South London suburb of Streatham, had been in custody for more than a year, the BBC said, citing his family.
Khan's brother Afroze told the broadcaster that the Syrian security agency had promised to release the doctor this week.
On Monday, however, Khan's mother, who was in Damascus, was informed her son had died, the BBC said.
- Syrian rebel group calls for U.S. airstrikes against ISIS
- Syria strikes militants as U.S. targets them in Iraq
- Syrian troops seize contested Damascus suburb
- Activists: Syrian rebels detonate tunnels, kill 13
- Why a Belgian Chef Joined ISIS to Battle Americans
- Ahmad Waseem, jihadi in Syria, ignored family's pleas to stay in Canada
- FAA blocks US planes from flying over Syria
- US Treasury sanctions Kuwaitis for Iraq, Syria
- 'Coming for You': American Suicide Bomber Warned West
- What happened after the Arab Spring?
'The Woodstock of left-wing politics' began its 4-day run in Ottawa with a multi-part march to Parliament Hill.
Date 37 mins ago, Duration 3:24, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:58
Tooltip Information:Dementia victim takes her life after right-to-die pleaVideo by:Description: Gillian Bennett, 84, feared becoming burden on her family after dementia diagnosisRating: 4Views: 33
Date 14-08-20 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.84Views: 22808
Date 2 hrs ago 6:14
Tooltip Information:Identifying the British-accented killer of James FoleyVideo by:Description: Interview with Ghaffar Hussain, a director of a counter-extremism think tankRating: 4Views: 0