Building collapses in Egyptian coastal city
Egypt's official news agency says a seven-story building has collapsed in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria.
The Middle East News Agency reported Sunday that an unspecified number of residents are trapped under rubble, in the neighbourhood of Sidi Gaber in the coastal city.
No reports on casualties were immediately available.
Alexandria witnessed several deadly building collapses this year including a Jan. 16 incident involving an eight-story-tall apartment building that left at least 25 dead.
Violations of building specifications are rampant in Egypt and are blamed for the frequent collapses.
The governor of Alexandria, Mohammed Abbas Atta, told Egypt's official news agency that the building that collapsed in January was constructed without a permit.
Abul Ezz el-Hariri, an opposition lawmaker from Alexandria, had warned then that hundreds of buildings in the city face the same fate, but that lax law enforcement following the ouster two years ago of Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak means that no action is being taken against building violations.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up process captured by NASA telescope
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
- Gannet population in grave shape off Newfoundland, scientists warn
'We face a real and serious threat in the U.K. from international terrorism': home secretary
Date 50 mins ago, Duration 2:45, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 4Views: 0
Date 47 mins ago 2:45
Tooltip Information:U.K. raises terror threat level to severeVideo by:Description: 'We face a real and serious threat in the U.K. from international terrorism': home secretaryRating: 4Views: 0
Date 10 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.4Views: 3540