Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi says it will be a long road ahead for the city to get the bills paid arising from the flood disaster.
City officials are estimating the preliminary cost of damages from last month's flooding at $256.5 million.
Nenshi said there's no way the city could cover that cost on its own.
- YOUR PHOTOS: Southern Alberta floods
“In reality, these costs really should be borne by the provincial and federal governments. And both of those governments have pledged their assistance,” he said.
“But I do know that there’s a lot of negotiation to be done.”
- $50 million for the Calgary Zoo.
- $31 million for the police administration building.
- $26 million to fix the city hall complex.
- $11 million for Calgary Transit facilities.
Meanwhile, some people in the Beltline neighbourhood are frustrated with condo owners and associations which have been slow to allow residents back into buildings that were not significantly damaged.
Ald. John Mar said many are still locked out of their units after buildings were evacuated almost two weeks ago.
Mar said city officials cannot force owners to reopen private buildings faster, but he is trying to help.
“We have asked, through the community association and different condo owners, to work with me and their condo associations … to have a meeting to see what else the municipality can do to provide support, or pressure if necessary, on these property managements ... to get the residents back in their homes where they belong.”
Mar said he will set up the meeting later this week.
Islamic State on Tuesday purportedly released a video showing the beheading of US journalist James Foley. Foley was an experienced reporter who had cov... More Islamic State on Tuesday purportedly released a video showing the beheading of US journalist James Foley. Foley was an experienced reporter who had covered numerous conflicts, contributing to Agence France-Presse and other outlets. Duration: 00:53
Date 2 mins ago, Duration 0:53, Views 0