California wildfire forces thousands to flee
People fled from thousands of homes as a wildfire pushed toward Southern California mountain communities.
Evacuation orders affected some 2,200 homes and 6,000 residents and visitors, said U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Carol Jandrall.
Winds that were moving the fire into wilderness were beginning to change direction, said Forest Service spokeswoman Melody Lardner.
Very hot and dry conditions were forecast for the next two days, said Tina Rose, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
Rose said the fire was showing extreme behaviour in an area that hadn't burned in many years.
"The slightest little spark is going to make a run and torch trees," Rose said. "It's just so bone dry."
The blaze destroyed three houses, damaged another and destroyed three mobile homes, a cabin, a garage and about a half-dozen vehicles, the U.S. Forest Service said in a statement Tuesday.
The wildfire started Monday. Nearly 3,000 firefighters and 25 aircraft had the blaze about 15 per cent contained.
- Clocks spring forward Sunday for daylight saving time
- Birth of Justin Trudeau's son poses political opportunity
- Courtney Love libel suit shows landmark 1964 case relevant in digital age
- Nahlah Ayed: Military observers in Crimea face risky situation
- 3 Mohawk protesters could be charged after Ontario rail blockade
- Ottawa man caught driving 190 km/h has Jaguar impounded
- Former PM Brian Mulroney says Putin is no Gorbachev
- Social media privacy being taught at high school
- Malaysia Airlines has good safety record
- 4 Mohawk protesters arrested in Ontario rail blockade
Family and friends came together in Labrador Saturday to remember the 26-year-old, Matt McCann reports
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:15, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 3:32
Tooltip Information:Stolen passports may be on planeVideo by:Description: There is mystery surrounding the identity of two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, who may have been travelling on stolen passportsRating: 4Views: 0
Date 6 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:2 Canadians on board missing planeVideo by:Description: We are learning more about two Canadians who are among the missing on the Malaysian airlines flight, Aarti Pole reportsRating: 3.5Views: 2692
Date 6 hrs ago 1:46
Tooltip Information:Search for missing plane continuesVideo by:Description: The search for a missing passenger jet with 239 people on board is still underway in the South China SeaRating: 4Views: 963