Canada's John Baird addresses UN general assembly
Foreign Minister John Baird addresses the United Nations General Assembly Monday morning at 9 a.m. ET.
CBCNews.ca is carrying his speech live.
As he did last year, Baird is making Canada's appearance at the world body's opening session.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper was in New York last week for a panel on child maternal health. He has addressed the General Assembly twice, most recently in 2010, and has faced criticism from the NDP and academics and former diplomats for not giving the address himself.
Harper has countered that Canada's prime minister has not traditionally appeared at the assembly year year.
Baird was at a UN event last week during the first week of the opening session, and spoke against the forced marriage of young girls.
- Gaza conflict: At least 15 dead after tank shells hit UN school
- Alison Redford flights: opposition politicians want RCMP probe
- Andrew Leduc hit-and-run death: Civilian RCMP contractor cleared of wrongdoing
- Theodore Van Kirk, last Enola Gay crew member, dead at 93
- Azaria Marthyman, Ebola doctor, returns home to Victoria
- NATO's Canadian commander in Libya 'disappointed' with lack of progress
- Jake Gardiner signs 5-year, $20.25M deal with Leafs: reports
- Lord Nelson, wheelchair-accessible tall ship, sails into Halifax
- First Nations divided on new Financial Transparency Act
- Damian Warner wins Commonwealth Games decathlon
A burst water main on Los Angeles' iconic Sunset Boulevard has caused flooding at the University of California, Los Angeles, local officials say.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 0:51, Views 8
Date 7 hrs ago 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 3Views: 4392