Canada's John Baird addresses UN general assembly
Foreign Minister John Baird addresses the United Nations General Assembly Monday morning at 9 a.m. ET.
CBCNews.ca is carrying his speech live.
As he did last year, Baird is making Canada's appearance at the world body's opening session.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper was in New York last week for a panel on child maternal health. He has addressed the General Assembly twice, most recently in 2010, and has faced criticism from the NDP and academics and former diplomats for not giving the address himself.
Harper has countered that Canada's prime minister has not traditionally appeared at the assembly year year.
Baird was at a UN event last week during the first week of the opening session, and spoke against the forced marriage of young girls.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 1:04, Views 24
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 94713
Date 14-08-29 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 25754
Date 4 hrs ago 1:04
Tooltip Information:U.S. Open: Eugenie Bouchard survives Zahlavova StrycovaVideo by:Description: Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.Rating: 4Views: 24
Date 10 hrs ago 1:53
Tooltip Information:Teacher fired for giving zeros wins appealVideo by:Description: Appeal board rules Lynden Dorval was treated unfairly when he was suspended and fired for giving zeros to his studentsRating: 5Views: 1093