Canada's luge team 'for sale,' Calgary event declares
luge for sale Abbas Somji/CBC
Canada’s elite luge athletes today started their first training runs of the Olympic season by sporting “for sale” stickers in place of corporate logos on the front of their helmets.
The luge team held a media conference at WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park in Calgary to get the word out that new corporate sponsors are needed.
A similar event four years ago landed the team a $1-million sponsorship agreement with a financial company. That deal has now expired, the Canadian Luge Association said in a release.
Corporate support helped Canada’s luge athletes achieve success at the World Cup and World Championship levels, the association said.
All four athletes on this year’s team — Alex Gough, Sam Edney, Tristan Walker and Justin Snith — are from Calgary.
Canada is considered a medal threat in both Gough’s event — the women's singles — and in the relay event.
- Robert Campbell of Ottawa faces 181 international cyberbullying charges
- Loretta Saunders case: Henneberry, Leggette to stand trial on 1st-degree murder
- Mountie who played 'Mr. Big' upset with Nelson Hart decision
- Gaza conflict: Israeli soldier reportedly captured as ceasefire unravels
- Burlington Skyway crash: What you need to know
- GM Canada to pay $9M in post-retirement benefits
- Video of Amazon tribe's 1st contact with modern world released
- Canada Post thefts halt Lens Rentals Canada service
- Why Republicans suing Obama is a good thing for Democrats
- Giraffe overpass death in South Africa could lead to criminal charges
Scott Morgan won the men's vault for his 3rd podium finish at the Games
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 3:53, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 9 hrs ago 1:14
Tooltip Information:Blue Bombers stage last-second win over Tiger-CatsVideo by:Description: Winnipeg defeats Hamilton 27-26.Rating: 4Views: 92
Date 10 hrs ago 0:53
Tooltip Information:Nolan Reimold blasts 2 home runs as Jays win 6th straightVideo by:Description: Blue Jays beat Astros 6-5.Rating: 4Views: 117