Canadian citizenship test turns focus away from multiculturalism
A citizenship ceremony in Toronto with a family from central Africa, Jan. 2014. CBC
Some researchers say it's taking longer than ever for people to get Canadian citizenship and that applicants are being reminded they should know about certain values in Canadian society.
A Montreal-based think-tank took a closer look at new government policies and found the citizenship study guide seems to play up Canada's colonial past, with less of a focus on multiculturalism.
For example, the guide, studied before the citizenship test, says it's a noble gesture to volunteer for the military and that "Canada's openness and generosity do not extend to barbaric cultural practices" that adversely affect women.
CBC's Amanda Margison talked to Elke Winter of the Institute for Research on Public Policy on the recent government policy changes and the backlog in processing applications.
- Canadian citizenship being processed for twins whose adoption delayed by Ebola
- Ahmad Waseem case illustrates Canada's foreign fighter problem
- Tarek and Samah Khalifa of Egypt lose bid to stay in Canada
- U.S. immigration issues good for Canada: Kenney
- Immigration law needs overhaul to deal with minor violations: R. Reis Pagtakhan
- Ottawa aware Canadian reported dead in Iraq
- Ottawa sued over compliance with U.S. law
- Virginia Hillis, Gwendolyn Deegan sue Ottawa over new FATCA tax rules
- Ontario's top court upholds oath ruling
- B.C.'s skilled immigrants to get more job help
Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.
Date 6 hrs ago, Duration 1:04, Views 293
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.17Views: 93570
Date 14-08-29 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 26058
Date 3 hrs ago 1:04
Tooltip Information:U.S. Open: Eugenie Bouchard survives Zahlavova StrycovaVideo by:Description: Reaches 4th round for 1st time in her career.Rating: 4Views: 24
Date 14-08-30 2:03
Tooltip Information:Door-to-door water test warningVideo by:Description: The City of Toronto is warning residents to be cautious about private companies offering door-to-door free water testing.Rating: 3.6Views: 2855