A Canadian has died in Varadero, Cuba, but it's not yet clear where the individual was from or how they died.
"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the Canadian citizen who passed away in Varadero, Cuba," Chrystiane Roy, a spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs said in an email.
Varadero, located east of Havana, is known for its beaches and is home to many resort developments.
Foreign Affairs did not identify the individual or provide any information about how the death occurred, saying only that Canadian consular officials are in contact with local authorities and are prepared to assist the family.
There are currently no nationwide travel advisories in place for Canadians travelling to Cuba.
In 2010, Cuba was the third most popular country visited by Canadians, according to Statistics Canada. More than one million Canadians travelled to Cuba — only Mexico and the U.S. attracted more Canadian tourists.
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspect accused of threatening girl's father
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 will be found, expert says
- Rob Ford’s 'cranes in the sky' line examined by economists
- 4 new species of 'killer' sponges discovered off Pacific coast
- Air Canada investigating luggage toss caught on video
- New Brunswick flood concerns continue
- How dearth of Canadian teams in NHL hockey playoffs will hit local economies
- Mount Everest avalanche: 13th body pulled from snow
- Ralph Nader slams GM's stance on 'hypothetical casualties'
- Calgary stabbings: Funerals for 3 of 5 victims set for Monday
The search resumes for three missing local guides after an avalanche kills 13 Sherpas on the slopes of Mount Everest.
Date 57 mins ago, Duration 1:38, Views 81
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3Views: 1221
Date 14-04-17 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.68Views: 28327