Canadian Kenya mall attack survivor hid for hours
A Canadian woman is among the more than 1,000 people who survived the weekend mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya.
Joanne Ball-Burgess is a mother of two who moved to Kenya with her husband. She had planned to pop into the Westgate Mall for just a few minutes. Instead, she was there for what felt like a horrifying lifetime as militant gunmen from al-Shabaab, a Somali Islamist extremist group, stormed the mall in attack that left at least 67 people dead.
Ball-Burgess shares her story with CBC's Nahlah Ayed.
- Ebola outbreak: Sierra Leone lockdown not extended
- UN Climate Summit: Thousands march worldwide ahead of meeting
- Wind, rainfall warnings blanket Atlantic coastline
- BC Ferries fare hikes forcing some to rethink island work, life
- How a Winnipeg lab became an Ebola research powerhouse
- Importing air pollution from China
- Pennsylvania multi-car crash leaves 4 children, 1 adult dead
- Calgary cougar shooting to get full review, justice minister says
- Linda Griffiths, actor and playwright, dead after battle with cancer
- Battle for your breakfast buck: Fast food attacks cereal's supremacy
CBC News speaks with Mustapha Dumbuya, a local reporter from Freetown, for the latest on the lockdown
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 6:11, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.72Views: 91683
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 3Views: 9148
Date 3 hrs ago 4:21
Tooltip Information:World climate change ralliesVideo by:Description: CBC's Paul Hunter reports from NYC, where organizers say at least 100,000 people are taking part in a march through ManhattanRating: 4Views: 151