Canadian Kenya mall attack survivor hid for hours
A Canadian woman is among the more than 1,000 people who survived the weekend mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya.
Joanne Ball-Burgess is a mother of two who moved to Kenya with her husband. She had planned to pop into the Westgate Mall for just a few minutes. Instead, she was there for what felt like a horrifying lifetime as militant gunmen from al-Shabaab, a Somali Islamist extremist group, stormed the mall in attack that left at least 67 people dead.
Ball-Burgess shares her story with CBC's Nahlah Ayed.
- Pictures: Kenya mall siege
- CBC Food Bank Day donations climb past $450k
- MGEU faces controversy over officials' suspensions
- Sounds of the Season totals: $354K and climbing
- CBC Toronto set for Sounds of the Season
- Edmontonians dig out from snow dump
- 3 cold air science experiments you can try at home
- CBC Food Bank Day donations top $200K
- Sounds of the Season draws crowds, donations
- Sounds of the Season totals: $273K and climbing
Cel phone video of an arrest in Hamilton, Ont. draws praise as an example of good police work.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:45, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13-12-11 0:37
Tooltip Information:Michigan Stadium transforms into an ice rinkVideo by:Description: Timelapse of The Big House as it morphs into an NHL rink for the Winter Classic on New Years Day where the Maples Leafs will face off against the Red Wings.Rating: 3.33Views: 10795
Date 3 hrs ago 2:12
Tooltip Information:Brandon man homeless after police seize his truckVideo by:Description: Ray Corkum of Brandon, Man., is homeless after police seized his truck — which he's been living in since 2009.Rating: 4Views: 302
Date 3 hrs ago 5:36
Tooltip Information:Rob Ford served with libel noticeVideo by:Description: Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale is taking legal action against Rob Ford over comments the mayor made in a TV interview with Conrad BlackRating: 4Views: 248